Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 27.04.2024, 13:11

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 19:56 

Hi everyone,

I usually don't do this, but this time I really really have a packed schedule. I need some advice how to create game a 3D game using Horde3D. But since I must do both -- Game Programming and writing my diploma -- I cannot afford to get lost. *you are my last hope, Obi-Wan* The problem is that all techniques are pretty new to me. Even the C++ isn't really my bag, but I cannot avoid it ;)

These are the requirements:
* Implement a prototype of a game using Horde3D [check]
* The game must be playable, but stuff like counting the score is optional
* Examples would be
A) 3D Pong with particle effects at collision of the puck, and post-processing effects like Motion Blur and Depth of Field.
B) Flight simulator with procedural generated landscape, mirroring water surfaces and clouds
C) First-Person Shooter in generated labyrinth with plasma and laser weapon effects plus additional explosions

Well A) and C) a pretty tough in my opinion, so I would go for B). What would you prefer with a tight time plan? Any suggestions?

Basically this is what I would do:
1. Create a 3D character in Blender to be the flying object, like a plane or a super hero
2. Try to create a scenery in Horde3D editor or totally go for the scenery generation?
3. what's next?
4. what about the steering?

I would appreciate your comments.

cheers

========
edit: As I mentioned in http://www.horde3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1111 I now have a software stack that fits an usual egoshooter; nothing big, just so-so. But for the sake of ending this thread I summarize:

The main part starts with creating appropriate classes, like World, Player, Enemy, Physics, Game. Almost every class needs an update method to for rendering purposes (see Chicago example for reference). Furthermore I hold a list of Enemies in the game, that are re-created when they have been shot.

The world is created in Blender and exported via the well known Horde3D Exporter.

The main keyboard logic goes to the player class although this is not an optimal solution when it comes to GUI creation (i dont have any) Most of the work is then the physics collision to stay on top of the world, and those matrix calculations for general movement (walking and looking). Also shooting rays in terms of guns and collision checking is a topic of it self.

It ends with putting miscellaneous models and special FX onto the world.

So that's it in a very nutshell. Perhaps there will be an step-by-step tutorial to go in media res.
cheers ;)

Last edited by philipppixel on 28.02.2010, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10.12.2009, 00:49 

The Horde3D terrain extension lets you render huge landscapes from specially created height-map textures. You could then place smaller details (rocks, trees, buildings) on top of the terrain in the Horde editor.