Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.03.2024, 14:52

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 15.04.2010, 02:00 

CJK(Chinese, Japanese,Korean) character has more than 30000.
so one picture file can't contain it.
I want to put CJK character..

PostPosted: 15.04.2010, 05:28 

Hi sellee, IMHO you can use SFML graphics library to load the external fonts directly and display your texts on the screen, or put your words in a picture and load em in Horde3D to show on the screen like other overlays.

Best Regards, Siavash.

PostPosted: 15.04.2010, 06:38 

Thanks Siavash.
There are many way to put CJK. freetype.. ftgl.. etc.
I want horde's native one.

PostPosted: 15.04.2010, 11:42 

Horde3D's showText is not really suited for this task if you can't fit all characters into a single bitmap. Of course you can use two or more bitmaps with a subset of the characters (each with 128 (256?) characters), but then you have to figure out which part of the text must be displayed where and with which font resource. Is it really worth that hassle?

If you want a tightly integrated font renderer write an extension.

PostPosted: 16.04.2010, 20:24 
Engine Developer

h3dutShowText is mainly intended for debugging and not for high-quality font rendering.

You can take a look at the GUI extension of phoenix to see how a font rendering library can be incorporated.

PostPosted: 16.04.2010, 22:43 

Although my current method also only works if you display a low number of chars at the same time - for more than thousand chars you need exchanging chars on the fly. I don't know these languages, but does one really need this? For longer texts probably.

Oh, and the extension really currently lacks support for large numbers of chars, although this is trivial to implement (just enlarging the font texture dynamically).

PostPosted: 18.04.2010, 05:54 

When I used "CJK" characters in Gamebryo, our "bitmap font generator" tool would use a text-document as input. Inside this text document, we put all of the sentences/phrases that appeared in the game.
e.g. it might contain
Quote:
Hello world
こんにちは世界
안녕하세요 세상
Then even though there's tens-of-thousands of possible characters, the tool would look at this document and see that our game only needs a small number of characters, and only the characters from this document would be rendered into our bitmaps.
sellee wrote:
I want horde's native one.
Horde's native one isn't on the same level as other font libraries - as marciano says it's really only a debugging tool.
It could be used for CJK characters, but you're limited to 255 characters per font. Combined with the tool I describe above, it would be possible to write a class that given a Unicode character, maps it to a font number + character number, allowing you to use as many characters as you like with hordes text rendering system. However, I wouldn't recommend this :wink: