Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.04.2024, 00:08

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 10.06.2010, 12:41 

HI.
I'm a beginner with programming and I got an assignment at school to render a 3D scene using an open source rendering engine. One of the tasks of the assignment was to understand the things that we were doing :( .So, I've chosen Horde 3D because I believed to be the simplest , but I have no idea how to make it work. I've downloaded the package from http://www.horde3d.org/download.html (the SDK) ...and I've tried to run the example from this tutorial http://www.horde3d.org/docs/html/_tutorial.html in VC++ 2008. I thought the install was the same with the installation of openGL ( telling VC++ where to find the LIB and Include folders, and also to put the in the system path), but nothing :(. I tried compiling the source code of Horde but still nothing:(. Please, can you help me, I know that maybe I'm asking stupid questions and I'm sorry :( but I have no idea how to solve this :(

PostPosted: 10.06.2010, 15:11 
Tool Developer

What do you mean with "nothing"? Did you receive some error messages or didn't you start the application?

PostPosted: 19.11.2011, 19:26 

Hello,
I'm another beginner just stuck up from the very beginning. I’m an old pc gamer who has decided to change sides for a while and have a go in the programming world, and after much research, I have concluded that Horde is the tool for me.
I’ve just downloaded Horde3D SDK [1.0.0] Beta 5 but there is no .exe file and I can´t start.
The computer I use to surf is different from another one with the nvidia card, so I transferred the files on a pen drive.
A .sln file can be run on my surfing pc, but not on the proper pc.
Also redownloaded directly from the nvidia pc and still no .exe.
Can you help me in this “head” start?
Thank you.

PostPosted: 20.11.2011, 00:03 
Tool Developer

If you're not kidding and really not familiar with programming, you shouldn't start with Horde3D :-)
Start with a Hello World application and if you understood the concepts of source code, compiler, linker and excutables you may understand why there's no EXE.

PostPosted: 20.11.2011, 10:03 

Thank you for answering even if I sounded I was joking. But I am very serious about this try. You are right, though, about my programming experience. It limits itself to BASIC upon the age of the 8086 monochrome machines, and some HTML and not-within-code modding.
But I wanted to learn some Python and do some programming, and I thought your engine could save me a lot of code. It might be a very high stepping stone (don´t really know yet), but I will follow your advice, the one with the hello world first.
Thanks again.