Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.04.2024, 05:50

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: General questions
PostPosted: 18.07.2010, 16:54 

Hi
I just want to say that i am fascinated with the idea of the facade layer with handles for simplifying interfacing with other languages and technologies (COM without the suckness :) ), that enables fast boot of development of scripting system (That is the main reason i want to use Horde for). also the shader-pipeline support only, for developers that does not need fixed pipeline and that saves the huge maintenance of its support.

Here are my questions:
1- What pushes you guys to continue, is that something for commercial usage in the future (Support, consulting) or university educational purposes or just for fun, and what your plan for Horde.

2- I know that is a very annoying question for developers, but can you estimate when will Horde3d 1 released or at least what is the next beta release and what is the road map of Horde3d 1 final?

3- What the best that can a tool programmer do for the community, i don't know much about computer graphics programming.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: General questions
PostPosted: 19.07.2010, 01:55 

Hi kariem2k,

1- As far as I know, it is for the University of Ausburg and maintained for educational purposes there. At the moment Marciano & Volker have full time jobs so development is a little slow at the moment but it is still being maintained, and some people in the community contribute to it.

2- I think you will most likely see many betas before a 1.0 version, but I don't think this should deter you too much. There's a road-map on the wiki: http://horde3d.org/wiki/index.php5?titl ... ty_Roadmap but it is a little out of date. You can also browse into the Developers Discussion section of the forum to see what is on the agenda. The focus between beta4 and beta5 is to remove any deprecated features that OpenGL 3.x core enforced and towards a way to make an abstraction of the renderer so that different backends could be used (Direct3D, OpenGL ES 2.0, etc.) and in future I think the scene graph will be taken out of core and placed into the utils lib.

3- The tools directory of the SVN community branch contains the Horde3D editor & the game engine "GaBaCo" and as far as I know, maintenance on the editor is always needed, the editor is written with Qt so I guess get familiar with that if you wanted to extend/enhance the editor.

Hope this helps!

Post subject: Re: General questions
PostPosted: 19.07.2010, 21:21 
Engine Developer

Thanks MistaED, there is not much more to add to your reply.