Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.03.2024, 11:48

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 24.07.2010, 16:08 

I've been thinking of UI implementation options recently because I'm not happy with my own implementation. I was considering moving my core engine over to a QT based app, but having basically zero experience and knowing some people here have done it. Any feedback on these points is appreciated:

Does the new QQuick stuff work over an OpenGL window? It seems like an ideal solution.

Is there an easy way to change resolutions and go fullscreen?

How about handling time, do you get a mainloop that runs at framerate or some weird onUpdate method callback? I'm wary of this kind of thing (bit like Ogre does that, hate giving up the mainloop to be honest).

Does Qwebkit render over a GL context properly?

I've heard that actually building QT with visual studio can be an exercise in pain? Is that right?

I dont really care about the functionality of QT itself, but having QQuick and maybe webkit support seems like a good idea.

Any experiences you guys can share would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 24.07.2010, 18:23 

I've seen people using normal Qt labels as FPS counters over their QGLWidget - should work as long as everything in front of the GL scene is realized as a X window/Win32 window I'd say. No idea how that works with translucency though as that maybe would require a compositing window manager.

Well, or:

http://www.qtcentre.org/wiki/index.php? ... ith_OpenGL - let Qt draw everything with OpenGL. looks like it does what you want. No idea about webkit though, should be possible however.

And no idea about msvc, never ever used that with Qt, I use MinGW/gcc everywhere.

EDIT: Oh, and you probably won't get anything as nice as your current frame loop - basically you would override the repaint method of your background widget, and then invalidate that window again when you are done - or use a periodic timer.

EDIT2: void QWidget::showFullScreen() - Qt does not have any function to set the screen resolution before that though.