Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 06.10.2024, 00:14

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Seems awesome... BUT.
PostPosted: 31.10.2007, 01:53 

Well I wanted to make my own game, im a complete newb when it comes to coding etc.

In simple: I KNOW NOTHING.

How easy would Horde3D be for me to use? Im willing to learn if needed but how hard is it?
Also does Horde3D have everything I need to make my own game? Or will I need other software also?
And last, can an MMORPG be made with this?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.10.2007, 03:23 

Hode3D is only a renderer, that is, it only handles the graphical parts of your game.
You will also need a separate library to handle sound/networking/etc...

Yes an MMORPG can be made with this, but as I've said, you'll also need other components to handle the sound/networking etc...

Also, if you're a complete newb, then I really recommend you don't try and make an MMO of any kind... It's a really big task. Really big!
Instead of trying to make your first game a MMO, you'll probably have more success if you start out making a simple single-player game (even pong!), and then try and make a small-to-medium sized online game once you're comfortable with your skills.
Then once you've made a small online game, then maybe it's time to have a go at an MMO :D

[edit]
Here are some other free libraries that you might be interested in:

Sound - http://www.openal.org
Networking - http://www.rakkarsoft.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.11.2007, 11:30 
Engine Developer

As DarkAngel already pointed out making a good quality game is a real plenty of work. Game studios have dozens of employees these days and spend millions of dollars for development.

Horde has a quite simple and friendly programming interface but if you want to exploit the full ptential you have to gain some knowledge of shaders and rendering techniques. I'm currently writing a small shader library to help less experienced people to get started but of course it can't cover everything. We are trying to design Horde as a professionel level engine and that's why I wouldn't consider it as ideal for beginners.