Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.03.2024, 13:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.02.2008, 15:57 
Engine Developer

Workaround: Use this code in calcPhongSpotLight (fragLighting.glsl)

Code:
// Shadow
if( NdotL > 0.0 && att > 0.0 )
{   
   vec4 projShadow = shadowMats[3] * vec4( pos, 1.0 );
   if( viewDist < shadowSplitDists.x ) projShadow = shadowMats[0] * vec4( pos, 1.0 );
   else if( viewDist < shadowSplitDists.y ) projShadow = shadowMats[1] * vec4( pos, 1.0 );
   else if( viewDist < shadowSplitDists.z ) projShadow = shadowMats[2] * vec4( pos, 1.0 );

projShadow.z = lightDist;
   projShadow.xy /= projShadow.w;

float shadowFac = PCF( projShadow );
   col *= max( 0.5, shadowFac );

[...]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.02.2008, 15:22 

marciano wrote:
Workaround: Use this code in calcPhongSpotLight (fragLighting.glsl)

That doesn't crash, but all shadowed geometry becomes completely black. Not sure why, as it does exactly the same thing as the old code, just doesn't grab the temp matrix.

On a happier note, Apple pushed out updated OpenGL drivers, and the Chcago sample now runs at a steady 12 fps, which while not up to the PC side, is still a vast improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.02.2008, 17:07 

Hi,

thanks for your great work. We have recently bought an Apple here in our lab and we are also using Horde3D. Would it be possible to repost the Xcode project for reference? I am new to this IDE and I still have some difficulties to get my old c++ code to run in there.

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.02.2008, 17:27 

gregor wrote:
thanks for your great work. We have recently bought an Apple here in our lab and we are also using Horde3D. Would it be possible to repost the Xcode project for reference? I am new to this IDE and I still have some difficulties to get my old c++ code to run in there.

No problem, and glad to see some interest in the Mac port! I will package up the xcode project over the next couple of days (sorry, exams), and post them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.02.2008, 19:36 
Engine Developer

@swiftcoder: Thanks for the update on the driver situation. It is good to see that there is at least some progress...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.03.2008, 13:14 

Hi,

would be great if you could up load your XCode project?

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.03.2008, 13:16 

gregor wrote:

Apologies, I will get to that tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.03.2008, 17:28 

gregor wrote:
Hi,

Sorry it took so long, busy of late. You can find the whole thing here. The XCode directory contains the project, while the Horde directory is the vanilla 0.14.0 distribution (with absolutely no modifications).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.03.2008, 09:30 
Engine Developer

Great to have an updated version for Mac.

I just had a quick look into your archive and wonder why everything is included two times (in the __MACOSX folder and the Horde XCode folder). Is this required for OSX?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.03.2008, 13:20 

marciano wrote:
Great to have an updated version for Mac.

Note that that is just the source version for the previous 0.14 binary, which several others had requested. Any idea when you will be releasing a few of those tasty newer features (terrain, etc.)?

marciano wrote:
I just had a quick look into your archive and wonder why everything is included two times (in the __MACOSX folder and the Horde XCode folder). Is this required for OSX?

The __MACOSX folder seems to be a side effect of the Mac's built in zip archive support (probably to handle resource forks gracefully). It is invisible on the Mac, and should be ignored elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.03.2008, 17:39 
Engine Developer

swiftcoder wrote:
Any idea when you will be releasing a few of those tasty newer features (terrain, etc.)?

Might be we will manage to make the next release still this week. But I can't promise that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.04.2008, 00:12 

First, the good:

The Mac build of 1.5 is all compiling fine, including the terrain extension.
The Knight sample now runs at a steady 40-45 fps, which is a huge improvement.

Now the bad:

The terrain sample runs at 3 fps.
The crowd sample can't find the model or animation, this is the error from the log:
Code:
1.290   Adding resource man.scene.xml
1.290   Adding resource man.anim
1.290   No data loaded (file not found?) for resource man.scene.xml
1.290   No data loaded (file not found?) for resource man.anim

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.04.2008, 17:44 
Engine Developer

Thanks for your efforts in porting the latest 0.15!

I just tried the terrain sample on our X1600 Pro and it works surprisingly fast (for ATI) with around 200 fps. So the problem must probably be somehow related to OSX.

The issue with the Chicago sample not finding some files is strange, but that should be quite easy to debug. My first thought was that it is a case sensitivity problem with the filenames but then it also wouldn't work on Linux which is not true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.04.2008, 20:34 

marciano wrote:
I just tried the terrain sample on our X1600 Pro and it works surprisingly fast (for ATI) with around 200 fps. So the problem must probably be somehow related to OSX.
There are also some culling issues, and some weird translation artefacts with individual terrain patches. Any chance of a copy of the newer version from SVN?

Click here for full-size image

marciano wrote:
The issue with the Chicago sample not finding some files is strange, but that should be quite easy to debug. My first thought was that it is a case sensitivity problem with the filenames but then it also wouldn't work on Linux which is not true.
OK, that was simple. I hadn't realised that the CrowdSim class loaded the man in a separate transaction, and thus I hadn't fixed up the path. How would you feel about a debug option to activate logging of all attempted paths for failed load commands?

This sample has seen a decent performance boost as well, maintaining a steady 11 fps with the entire scene in view.

Also worth noting is that the current lighting shader doesn't crash, which is excellent! However, I am not seeing anything except for bounding boxes in debug view - is this normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.04.2008, 15:21 
Engine Developer

swiftcoder wrote:
There are also some culling issues, and some weird translation artefacts with individual terrain patches. Any chance of a copy of the newer version from SVN?

There haven't been many changes. Volker has already posted the few lines of code that need to be modified to improve the culling.

swiftcoder wrote:
This sample has seen a decent performance boost as well, maintaining a steady 11 fps with the entire scene in view.

Please not that the Chicago sample has a different lighting setup with just one instead of two light sources. Probably this explains the performance boost you noticed.

swiftcoder wrote:
Also worth noting is that the current lighting shader doesn't crash, which is excellent! However, I am not seeing anything except for bounding boxes in debug view - is this normal?

You should see the geometry in debug mode as usual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next