Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.04.2024, 02:44

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 22.11.2007, 21:31 

Horde compiles for OS X with changes to only a singe file - I was very impressed, seeing as it hasn't been officially ported yet!

As you can see from the screenshot, the samples compile and run too (after I stripped out the windows specific code in Horde3DUtils.h/.cpp). However, they only run if I comment out the forward light loop in the pipeline xml configuration:

Code:
<!-- <DoForwardLightLoop class="~Translucent" /> -->

This works for both the Knight and Chicago samples, but in both cases disables lighting. In the the Knight sample, it is as if lighting were disabled, and the scene is displayed anyway, but in Chicago, the entire scene is black (but it is fine in debug view).

I also tried the deferred system for Chicago, and while that didn't crash, it still yielded no light.

When the forward light loop is left in, both of the samples crash with an invalid pointer, deep inside the implementation of glDrawRangeElements() called from line 571 of egRenderer.cpp:
Code:
// Render
glDrawRangeElements( GL_TRIANGLES, meshNode->getVertRStart(), meshNode->getVertREnd(),
 meshNode->getBatchCount(),
 curGeoRes->_16BitIndices ? GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT : GL_UNSIGNED_INT,
 (char *)0 + meshNode->getBatchStart() *
 (curGeoRes->_16BitIndices ? sizeof( short ) : sizeof( int )) );

I am very happy to have managed to get Horde compiling, and even running, but I would be even happier if anyone has ideas on what is wrong with the lighting loop.

http://picasaweb.google.com/swiftcoder/Developer/photo#5135759776338128594

PS - if anyone is interested, I am willing to package up binaries (or the project files if you would rather) and upload them, once we have this working, to ease the process a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.11.2007, 16:55 
Engine Developer

First off, it is great to see that you are working on a Mac port and have done good progress. Thanks for that :)

Obviously the crash is happening in the driver when the geometry is drawn. There are several possible reasons:

- It could be an evil driver bug
- It could be a bug in Horde which didn't show up in Windows and Linux yet
- It could be a some problem which is introduced by the different system environment on Macs

Honestly a crash in this function is the worst case for debugging because the reason could be anywhere in the OpenGL related code. Recently we had a similar problem with some random crashes under Windows on NVidia cards. After some debugging we found out that they were related to the shader vertex attribute bindings. I could fix that for 0.13 but I'm still not a hundred percent convinced that this was a bug in the Horde code. Might be it is something similar now under Mac.

The only way I know to debug such diffuse bugs is to locate the problematic area by minimizing step-by-step the code which could cause the problems. I would begin by reducing the number of lights to one and putting just one simple object to the scene. After that I would try to remove shadow mapping and so on. I know this not the preferred way of debugging but what else should you do?

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac so I can't really help to find the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2007, 13:54 

marciano wrote:
The only way I know to debug such diffuse bugs is to locate the problematic area by minimizing step-by-step the code which could cause the problems. I would begin by reducing the number of lights to one and putting just one simple object to the scene. After that I would try to remove shadow mapping and so on. I know this not the preferred way of debugging but what else should you do?

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac so I can't really help to find the problem.

Ok, sounds logical. When I get my machine back (power supply died), I will work on that. Quick question though... are you validating the shaders after setting them up? Or is there a simple way to enable validation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2007, 16:25 
Engine Developer

swiftcoder wrote:
Quick question though... are you validating the shaders after setting them up? Or is there a simple way to enable validation?

Shaders are automatically validated. The shader log with errors and warnings is written to the EngineLog.html file (if you didn't remove the dumpMessages call). This is something that you could look at first to make sure that there are no compilation errors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2007, 19:30 

marciano wrote:
swiftcoder wrote:
Quick question though... are you validating the shaders after setting them up? Or is there a simple way to enable validation?

Shaders are automatically validated. The shader log with errors and warnings is written to the EngineLog.html file (if you didn't remove the dumpMessages call). This is something that you could look at first to make sure that there are no compilation errors.

The log files were full of shader errors (missmatched vertex attributes and such), which I ignored for the moment. Apparently my power supply will be here on Tuesday, so I will check it out then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.11.2007, 18:55 

Ok, back up and running.

Here is the log file from the Knight demo, dumped immediately prior to the first frame (crash occurs during lighting pass of first frame). No errors I can see, and the shader warnings seem to just be an artefact of the shader setup.

Not too helpful, I think?

Code:
0.000   Shadow map precision is limited to 16 bit
0.003   Loading pipeline '../pipeline_Knight.xml'
0.004   Adding resource materials/postHDR.material.xml
0.005   Shadow map precision is limited to 16 bit
0.005   Adding resource materials/font.material.xml
0.005   Adding resource materials/logo.material.xml
0.005   Adding resource models/scene.scene.xml
0.005   Adding resource models/knight.scene.xml
0.005   Adding resource models/knight_order.anim
0.005   Adding resource models/knight_attack.anim
0.005   Adding resource models/particleSys1.scene.xml
0.005   Loading resource materials/postHDR.material.xml
0.005   Adding resource shaders/postHDR.shader.xml
0.005   Loading resource materials/font.material.xml
0.005   Adding resource shaders/overlay.shader.xml
0.005   Adding resource textures/font.tga
0.005   Loading resource materials/logo.material.xml
0.005   Adding resource textures/logo.tga
0.005   Loading resource models/scene.scene.xml
0.005   Adding resource models/scene.geo
0.005   Adding resource materials/scene/stones.material.xml
0.006   Loading resource models/knight.scene.xml
0.008   Adding resource models/knight.geo
0.008   Adding resource materials/knight/knight.material.xml
0.009   Loading resource models/knight_order.anim
0.017   Loading resource models/knight_attack.anim
0.023   Loading resource models/particleSys1.scene.xml
0.024   Adding resource materials/particle1.material.xml
0.024   Adding resource effects/particle1.effect.xml
0.024   Adding resource materials/particle2.material.xml
0.024   Adding resource effects/particle2.effect.xml
0.024   Loading resource shaders/postHDR.shader.xml
0.025   Adding resource shaders/utilityLib/fragPostProcess.glsl
0.025   Compiling shader context shaders/postHDR.shader.xml--->FINALPASS
0.050   [Linking]
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'normal' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'tangent' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'bitangent' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'joints' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'weights' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'texCoords0' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'texCoords1' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'parIdx' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'parCornerIdx' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
0.050   Loading resource shaders/overlay.shader.xml
0.050   Compiling shader context shaders/overlay.shader.xml--->OVERLAY
0.052   [Linking]
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'normal' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'tangent' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'bitangent' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'joints' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'weights' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'texCoords0' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'texCoords1' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'parIdx' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'parCornerIdx' to match BindAttributeLocation request.
0.054   Loading resource textures/font.tga
0.104   Loading resource textures/logo.tga
0.110   Loading resource models/scene.geo
0.111   Loading resource materials/scene/stones.material.xml
0.111   Adding resource shaders/parallax.shader.xml
0.112   Adding resource textures/layingrock.jpg
0.112   Adding resource textures/layingrockBump.tga
0.112   Loading resource models/knight.geo
0.133   Loading resource materials/knight/knight.material.xml
0.133   Adding resource shaders/skinning_metal.shader.xml
0.133   Adding resource textures/knight.jpg
0.133   Adding resource textures/cubemap.jpg
0.133   Loading resource materials/particle1.material.xml
0.133   Adding resource shaders/particle.shader.xml
0.133   Adding resource textures/particle1.tga
0.134   Loading resource effects/particle1.effect.xml
0.134   Loading resource materials/particle2.material.xml
0.134   Loading resource effects/particle2.effect.xml
0.134   Loading resource shaders/utilityLib/fragPostProcess.glsl
0.134   Compiling shader context shaders/postHDR.shader.xml--->BRIGHTPASS
0.138   [Linking]
0.139   Compiling shader context shaders/postHDR.shader.xml--->BLUR1
0.142   [Linking]
0.142   Compiling shader context shaders/postHDR.shader.xml--->BLUR2
0.145   [Linking]
0.145   Compiling shader context shaders/postHDR.shader.xml--->BLUR3
0.148   [Linking]
0.148   Compiling shader context shaders/postHDR.shader.xml--->BLUR4
0.151   [Linking]
0.152   Loading resource shaders/parallax.shader.xml
0.152   Adding resource shaders/utilityLib/vertCommon.glsl
0.152   Adding resource shaders/utilityLib/fragDeferred.glsl
0.152   Adding resource shaders/utilityLib/fragLighting.glsl
0.153   Loading resource textures/layingrock.jpg
0.209   Loading resource textures/layingrockBump.tga
0.258   Loading resource shaders/skinning_metal.shader.xml
0.259   Adding resource shaders/utilityLib/vertSkinning.glsl
0.259   Loading resource textures/knight.jpg
0.263   Loading resource textures/cubemap.jpg
2.210   Loading resource shaders/particle.shader.xml
2.211   Adding resource shaders/utilityLib/vertParticle.glsl
2.211   Loading resource textures/particle1.tga
2.211   Loading resource shaders/utilityLib/vertCommon.glsl
2.211   Compiling shader context shaders/parallax.shader.xml--->AMBIENT
2.214   [Linking]
2.214   Loading resource shaders/utilityLib/fragDeferred.glsl
2.214   Compiling shader context shaders/parallax.shader.xml--->ATTRIBPASS
2.219   [Linking]
2.219   Loading resource shaders/utilityLib/fragLighting.glsl
2.219   Compiling shader context shaders/parallax.shader.xml--->LIGHTING
2.226   [Linking]
2.226   Loading resource shaders/utilityLib/vertSkinning.glsl
2.226   Compiling shader context shaders/skinning_metal.shader.xml--->ATTRIBPASS
2.238   [Linking]
2.238   Compiling shader context shaders/skinning_metal.shader.xml--->SHADOWMAP
2.248   [Linking]
2.248   Compiling shader context shaders/skinning_metal.shader.xml--->LIGHTING
2.262   [Linking]
2.262   Compiling shader context shaders/skinning_metal.shader.xml--->AMBIENT
2.273   [Linking]
2.273   Loading resource shaders/utilityLib/vertParticle.glsl
2.273   Compiling shader context shaders/particle.shader.xml--->TRANSLUCENT
2.280   [Linking]
2.280   Adding node from resource models/scene.scene.xml
2.280   Adding node from resource models/knight.scene.xml
2.283   Adding node from resource models/particleSys1.scene.xml
2.283   Adding node Light1

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.12.2007, 17:53 
Engine Developer

Hmm, I didn't see these warnings under Windows or Linux. I have looked at the OpenGL specs again and they state that it is legal to bind a vertex attribute to a arbitrary name even if this name is never used in the shader. So I consider these warnings just as pure information and don't think that they have something to do with the actual problem.

What graphics card do you have and which driver version are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.12.2007, 17:59 

ATI Radeon X1600 (128MB), and the drivers are written by Apple and ATI jointly, and included with the OS (I am running the new OS X 10.5, so the drivers are only a few weeks old).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07.12.2007, 21:02 
Engine Developer

On windows the samples work on a X1600 without any problems. Would it be possible to upload your modified code so that someone else could try it? That way we could make sure that it is definately not a driver problem. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07.12.2007, 21:17 

There are absolutely no code changes except those that fix the OpenGL #includes on the Mac. But if there are any other intrepid Mac users out there, I have packaged up a zip of the entire Mac project, which should build with one click:

Deprecated in favour of binary release below

(Assumes you have the Apple developer tools installed, and that you have installed the SDL framework in ~/Library/Frameworks, then just decompress this wherever you want, open up the .xcodeproj file, and click the build and run button).

Last edited by swiftcoder on 31.01.2008, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.12.2007, 22:10 

Hi swiftcoder,

Marciano and I tried your xcode project on mac os leopard and it works fine. We had no problems with lights. We used a new MacBook pro.
There were some absolut pathes in your project file, but after changing them, we had no problems.

Great work
quai

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.12.2007, 00:54 

quai wrote:
Hi swiftcoder,

Marciano and I tried your xcode project on mac os leopard and it works fine. We had no problems with lights. We used a new MacBook pro.
There were some absolut pathes in your project file, but after changing them, we had no problems.

Great work
quai

Thanks! So that narrows it down to a problem with my card/drivers (Radeon X1600 Mobile). I am guessing we are using an unsupported extension, but I don't have time to track that down this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.12.2007, 16:29 

If have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB SDRAM.

Greetings
quai

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.12.2007, 23:22 

quai wrote:
If have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB SDRAM.

Greetings
quai

Thanks, I had figured as much from Apple's current product line-up. I have had no luck in tracking down the bug for my machine though - enabling any combination of lights causes OpenGL to crash while drawing the meshes in the lighting pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.12.2007, 15:30 

It seems that if the file "Content/shaders/utilityLib/fraglighting.glsl" is renamed (so that the engine cannot find it), the rest runs fine, both validation and light-loop rendering, which indicates that it is something in that shader which causes the crash. I am not so familiar with shaders, but if anyone has ideas there, I am willing to try them...

Edit: I realise now that removing that shader probably disables every shader in the lighting pass, leaving me no closer to figuring out what is wrong. I would assume this is a driver bug, but it seems odd that no one else has ever uncovered this particular one ;)

Edit 2: Having taken a closer look at the shader setup, it may well be that shader. The vertex shaders for all of the lighting pass shaders are identical to the ambient pass, and the ambient pass works fine, so the problem could be in the fragment shader. However, the problem might just be caused by a sequence of state changes, which is going to be harder to track down.

I tried disabling PCF in the fragment shader on a whim, but with no result.