Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 20.04.2024, 13:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: classes?
PostPosted: 02.01.2009, 00:03 

Hi new to horde and Looks as I'm going to start using this engine for my next project. One thing I always do when I start using a new engine is start making classes. Like a general screen class with GLFW functinos. But wanted to ask if there are any global efforts first. No need to reinvent wheels.

Post subject: Re: classes?
PostPosted: 04.01.2009, 04:43 
Tool Developer

Not sure what you want to do, but is GLFW itself not enough modularization for you screen class?

PostPosted: 04.01.2009, 05:30 

There are a few users here who are building class libraries on top of Horde:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=266
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=466

PostPosted: 06.01.2009, 07:52 

DarkAngel wrote:
There are a few users here who are building class libraries on top of Horde:

http://horde3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=266
http://horde3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=466

Hi.

Who are those users?

I am trying to create a simlar class-framework on the Smtalltalk-side using VisualWorks (VW). I'm studying and then slowly removing the GLFW window-manager functions and replacing them with VW's event system, and further linking each event to the appropriate callback in GLFW. Utlimately, I want to get as much of this C/C++ code into the Smalltalk as possible. Reading/writing and debugging in Smalltalk are much more accurate and fluid than in C++.

There will have an OpenGLWindow instance in VW that can create the needed rendering context and 24-bit WinDIBSection for in-memory rendering and swapping. I already have most of this working from the previous framework I use. The window starts the engine as it opens, or the model to be rendered starts it as it goes to render itself.

I am trying to determine how to create the various resources needed and how best to model them on the Smalltalk-side. I do not want to duplicate the scenegraph in Smalltalk. An object model that knows how to create H3D-compatible XML-representations and pass them through API functions to create the scene and to attach model-, light-, and camera-nodes seems to be the correct approach. Suggestions?

Shaping

PostPosted: 06.01.2009, 17:19 

Quote:
Not sure what you want to do, but is GLFW itself not enough modularization for you screen class?
Well you may be right. call me old fashion but dumping a bunch of code in the main and app files is not my cup of tea. Now granted theses are just examples ( kignt, Chicago ). But I like to set things up more like this for example..

examples:

Code:
   // Render scene
   Horde3D::render( _cam );

// Remove all overlays
   Horde3D::clearOverlays();

// Write all mesages to log file
   Horde3DUtils::dumpMessages();

Cleaned up
Code:
   // Render scene
   myGame->render(  );//_cam would be a member of the class.

// Remove all overlays
   myGame->clearOverlays();

// Write all mesages to log file
   myGame->dumpMessages();

Yeah nothing fancy here... I mean if they dont change much why not put it in classes? And there would be a wrapper or add on h and cpp files that we all could share and reuse in any game we make. Then we could make other wrapper files for certain functions that get used a lot. Like a input class for keyboards, mice and joysticks ( unless that is already done ).

But like you said maybe I will come to see that this engine already has enough modularization. I'm still working on the editor for now..