Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.03.2024, 05:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 17.01.2009, 04:58 

Hi, need help with the Terrain extension. I dont really understand how it works.

This link viewtopic.php?f=8&t=237&p=1232&hilit=terrain+extension#p1232
Talks about how it should now work by compiling it and that It used to involve more work.

The wiki says

Quote:
To install the extension, simply copy the contents of the extension root directory to the Horde3D SDK folder and merge the directories. In Visual Studio, add the extension and sample projects to the solution. Then add the extension project to the project dependencies of the Horde3D Engine and the Horde3D Engine to the dependencies of the Terrain Sample. After that, include 'Terrain/extension.h' in 'egExtensions.cpp' of the engine and add '#pragma comment( lib, "Extension_Terrain.lib" )' to link against the terrain extension (under Windows). Finally, add the following line to ExtensionManager::installExtensions to register the extension:

and the include doc says
Quote:
In Visual Studio, add the extension and sample projects to the Horde3D solution. Then add the extension
project to the project dependencies of the Horde3D Engine and the Horde3D Engine to the dependencies of
the Terrain Sample. After that, include 'Terrain/extension.h' in 'egExtensions.cpp' of the engine and add
'#pragma comment( lib, "Extension_Terrain.lib" )' to link against the terrain extension (under Windows).
Finally, add the following line to ExtensionManager::installExtensions to register the extension:

They are similar but a bit confusing to me. Is this old info per that link above? Should the terrain extension just run after compile?

Currently I can compile but receive error "Unknown node type or missing attribute for 'Terrain'" in the log.

My guess is that it does not know the node type "heightmap" and if so I must be missing a step?

I want to thank Volker for his help thus far and felt I should start a new thread specific to this error as the last threat was getting rather daunting,

PostPosted: 17.01.2009, 06:36 
Tool Developer

There is no node type heightmap just a node type Terrain. heightmap is an attribute of a Terrain node.
You might want to check out one of the SVN branches (Community Branch, SourceForge ) and open the Horde3D_Ext.sln visual studio file. In both versions the terrain extension and sample is already integrated and it should work out of the box. Then you can compare those versions with you one to find your problem with the adjustments in the egExtensions.cpp

PostPosted: 17.01.2009, 17:45 

thx Volker,

Ok short answer I needed to use the horde3d.dll which was about twice the size as the offical download of horde3d.

long answer, if you are able to follow all of the verbiage above I think you will arrive at the correct place. But the link that Volker provided has done it for you and all you need is the horde3d.dll. I copied both. Horde3D.dll and Horde3DUtils.dll from the Horde3d\Binaries\Win32 directory and that was all it took.

The question for me stands, Why does the official release of horde3d not include the terrain information built in to the binaries? The only answer I have came up with was some systems may not be able to utilize it, thus its an option? I really dont know. Confused, but at least this community has knowledgeable people like Volker. Although he may be plotting my death at this point I'm not sure. That or he may be suffering hair damage from try to help me. Just kidding on both notes of course.

thx Volker.

PostPosted: 17.01.2009, 20:44 
Tool Developer

Quote:
Why does the official release of horde3d not include the terrain information built in to the binaries

Short answer:
We didn't add the extension, since we want to offer the core library without any maybe unnecessary code that might confuses people that want to take a look into the source code.

And don't worry, I still have quite enough hairs, although creating the subtitles for my upcoming tutorial video for the editor takes really too much time. :-)

PostPosted: 18.01.2009, 03:42 

Ok man good to know.

PostPosted: 18.01.2009, 09:08 
Tool Developer

I uploaded the tutorial as a Xvid video under http://mm-werkstatt.informatik.uni-augsburg.de/downloads/Horde3D_Editor.avi