Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 13.05.2024, 19:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 1944 D-Day & Horde3D
PostPosted: 16.05.2007, 04:55 

Hi All

Just thought I would say that I am currently looking into Horde3D for my project.

http://www.1944d-day.com

Basically after a few engine hurdles and evaluating what the market currently has on offer:

CryEngine 2.0
Visiion Engine
Gamebryo
Offset

and all the cheaper indie engines, we have begun to wonder if any engine could sustain our specific needs.

So as part of my evaluation process for engines I will be looking at what can be achieved with Horde3D and potentially building it up to meet our specific needs.

Firstly we are going to get a modelviewer up and running so we can view our content.

The next steps:

1. Integrate Large Scale Streaming Terrain
2. Integrate an Environment (Light Scattering, Clouds, Day/Night Cycle)
3. Physx
4. Speedtree
5. Audio (potentially FMod)
6. Game Framework
7. NetCode
8. Tool System (GROME Conversion)

Obviously there will be several revisions of tweaks, and changes being made. This all depends on how we find the engine and if infact it is more viable to settle on another engine. There are really only 3 engine options left for us at this point as we have exhuasted all other routes via testing, and evaluation.

The Primary reason why we are looking at Horde is the fact that it is simple and extensible. We can easily control our could and build from there while other engines including commercial engines are robust and offer a far more established feature set, it is this robustness that is over complicating the matter. Horde3D is simple, direct and to the point. So we feel it warrants investigating and seeing what we can achieve with it.

Nice to meet you all, and thus far I am very happy with how simple and easy Horde3D and how upfront Nicolas is.

(For those who know about 1944 or who stumble across this post, this is all part of 1944 securing an engine that will allow the team to complete the game. Please do not view this as our final choice on the matter visit our site to see what our engine of choice is)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.05.2007, 05:45 

Hi, I think I remember seeing your project mentioned on GameDev.net some time ago. It's a pretty impressive concept that's going to need a fairly customised engine. I can't imagine it being implemented in something like Unreal or CryEngine - you're going to have to write a lot of code to manage a world of that size, so I guess you need something pretty flexible.

I've also used the Gamebryo engine, and while it is very flexible and customisable, it's also quite complicated and can become quite messy to use.

I'm using horde because:
* Most of the big commercial game engine frameworks are very expensive.
* With a little effort, Horde can deliver the same graphical quality.
* Combined with other Open Source projects, you can easily integrate Horde into a complete game engine framework of your own.
* It's clean and simple.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear about which engine you decide to use, as the requirements for your project are quite ambitious, so if you decide it's feasible then you're going to have some killer technology involved :D