Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 27.04.2024, 10:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 25.09.2009, 19:58 

Well it's been a while and my partners and I have been hard at work.

Slowly but surely we've been putting together a prototype version of our game in Blender as it has a build in. We're all capable of modeling in or using as a go between blender it self.

We now have a working prototype of our game however, the Blender Game Engine seems to be so dated it's not suitable for our needs. We're suffering from huge limitations in terms of polygon Drawing and the like. 20,000 faces is not nearly enough faces for our needs. Which by the way 20,000 faces is for a game machine that can barely run Crysis. it's a very limited situation for us as we want our game to look good and run awesome. a least a million Poly on screen with small Hordes of "Zombies" all over the place.

Second problem is, The game is almost 100% Python. Including the Internet Multi Player code. This code was written with BGE in mind but would take a little to convert over to any other engine if it's supported.

I guess my question right now is how difficult would it be to make a sort of conversion from Blender Game Engine to Horde 3D? A converter plug-in/script would be nice actually, but I'm not sure if there is one out there, YET. Someway (or something) that would convert the Models, Materials, Textures, scripts and Logic Block into something the Game Engine Side of this project can use.

This BTW is a second project all together, one we're getting close to BETA with. My other project is kind of stalled while my brother is back in school furthering his education.

thank you...

BY The way. I am python capable, just not C++ or the like.

PostPosted: 25.09.2009, 23:30 
Tool Developer

Converting the models to Horde3D would be the smalles problem I guess. Depending on the improvements in the collada support for blender 2.5 you may want to try this one and the ColladaConv or you try to use the direct blender exporter for Horde (see the wiki for details). Converting the logic is a completly differnt thing. Horde3D is only a renderer, so you first have to write code that implements the basics for your logic.

PostPosted: 26.09.2009, 03:11 

Volker wrote:
Converting the models to Horde3D would be the smalles problem I guess. Depending on the improvements in the collada support for blender 2.5 you may want to try this one and the ColladaConv or you try to use the direct blender exporter for Horde (see the wiki for details). Converting the logic is a completly differnt thing. Horde3D is only a renderer, so you first have to write code that implements the basics for your logic.
I suppose that code needs to be in C++ then... bummer... or atleast figure out how to make Horde3D integrated with python, since our prototype is almost 100% python anyways.

in the near future I hope some skilled developer makes a plug or an app that will do this with a few setting and a handful of hopes and dreams... till then I'll give this a shot manually. I don't know much C++ but I may just be able to embed python in the H3D-RE... and then build the game end with python...

Or well, we'll see what happens...

PostPosted: 26.09.2009, 04:44 

IIRC there is python bindings out there [by Codepoet ?] for Horde3D. As Volker said Horde3D only handles the rendering process, so you need other libraries to handle the input/window/event/audio/net. I think you will be interested in SFML, because it provides python bindings too, so you don't need to convert all of your python codes to the C++.

PostPosted: 26.09.2009, 11:43 

Siavash wrote:
IIRC there is python bindings out there [by Codepoet ?] for Horde3D. As Volker said Horde3D only handles the rendering process, so you need other libraries to handle the input/window/event/audio/net. I think you will be interested in SFML, because it provides python bindings too, so you don't need to convert all of your python codes to the C++.
cool stuff thanks you.