Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 27.04.2024, 06:38

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 05.10.2009, 16:09 

Hi!

Are there any chances of fallback path to make Horde3D work with machine that doesn't support OpenGL 2.0 +?
I realized that most of my laptop/tablet with Intel GMA only support up to OpenGL 1.4.

Thanks

PostPosted: 05.10.2009, 20:41 
Engine Developer

A rendering backend which just draws the geometry with a diffuse texture would be very easy to write. However, this will look really flat and boring and as soon as you want to have better quality, things get more complicated. You need to do multiple passes with blending and use the old register combiner functions.

The way I would try to tackle fixed function is to create a simple custom shader format, something like Quake 3 had back in the days. This could to some degree fit horde's material system. Uniforms and samplers defined in the materials could be processed in the custom shaders.

Integration of a fixed function renderer would certainly be an interesting project and if someone wants to do that it would be great. However, I myself don't have the time and honestly also not the motivation for that. After all, Horde is supposed to go "next-gen" and not the other way back ;)