Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.03.2024, 11:10

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 30.09.2008, 12:13 

Glad to announce the release of the latest version for the test environment.

Within the pack you will find one Horde ready file, and also includes the original source model LXO format from Modo. Licensed under Creative Commons 3.0.

If you find any problems please do let me know.

Known problems:
  • The circuit and a couple of the cylinders need surface smoothing increasing.
Updated:
  • 04/11/2008 - Pack2.1 is released.
  • 30/09/2008 - Pack2 is released.

Orange = 4 meters
Purple = 2 meters
Green = 1 meter

DAE Export Scale:
<unit meter="1.0" name="meter" />

Can be downloaded direct from:
http://dev.ironfoot.co.uk/downloads/h3d_pack2.1.zip

Let's bring 'em out! Any old iron! Any old iron!
A door opens and a homewife brings out a rather sophisticated-looking ground-to-air missile system, and dumps it on the cart.
Thank you.

Last edited by PuG on 13.11.2008, 10:36, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: 30.09.2008, 12:20 

The next version of the pack will be completely redesigned to make it hopefully more useful. However want to resolve a few bugs before the next release.

The first major problem is surface smoothing, can this be controlled in Hordes material system? or is it a problem coming over from Modo (most likely).
Second annoyance is the original file has two uv channels (UV01, UV02), UV02 being used for the ambient occlusion pass. Can you, or how do you define in Hordes materials which channel you wish to be used? as it seems for default to automatically go to the last one in the list.

Scaling - Please be careful at the moment as I can't guarantee what the exact scale relates too within Horde and other applications. Modo im using a unit system of SI, in meters - though the current Collada exporter bases it from a game unit of 1 meter equals 1.0 game units, which is for me set to match 3DMax. However it will vary development to development :) A good read is perhaps to look at what Valve have done with HL2 - http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... Dimensions

To get around any possible sizing issues I will try and supply a more varied format on the models so people can then re-export as they see fit to sit their project.

A door opens and a homewife brings out a rather sophisticated-looking ground-to-air missile system, and dumps it on the cart.
Thank you.

PostPosted: 30.09.2008, 13:10 
Tool Developer

Not sure if that's related to your UV issue but did you already made sure that you've got the latest reversion from the SVN where the bug mentioned in this thread has been fixed already? Sadly it's still present in the Beta2 release, only the SVN version is fixed.

BTW: Great testing area! If only I had more time...

PostPosted: 30.09.2008, 14:00 

The preview picture was through Horde Scene Editor, so I assume that's using an older revision of the engine - will update SVN again tonight and see if I can do a new build.

My other UV problem (not related to the smoothing) is slightly odd. The two UV channels I think are going over to GEO fine, however the materials are being applied to the wrong one. Is their an attribute that allows you to define the channel to be used for each texture?

Im waiting todo a reformat so I can try Modo's more official Collada exporter.

:)

Thank you.

PostPosted: 30.09.2008, 15:16 

Good work PuG ! I love what you are going to do :wink:

PostPosted: 01.10.2008, 08:33 
Engine Developer

First off, it is a great idea to have some basic assets for Horde!

PuG wrote:
My other UV problem (not related to the smoothing) is slightly odd. The two UV channels I think are going over to GEO fine, however the materials are being applied to the wrong one. Is their an attribute that allows you to define the channel to be used for each texture?

This is controlled by the shader. If you want to use the second channel, you just need to replace the attribute texCoords0 with texCoords1 in the corresponding shader.

PostPosted: 01.10.2008, 11:56 

PuG wrote:

This is controlled by the shader. If you want to use the second channel, you just need to replace the attribute texCoords0 with texCoords1 in the corresponding shader.[/quote]

Thanks, unfortunately slightly beyond me to implement. I was hoping you could simple define the "texCoords" for the surface on a per-material bases without having to adjust the shaders directly. I could always duplicate the standard shader and just adjust accordingly and use that temporarily.

Ive just tried updating from SVN as Volker suggested, however that doesn't appear to have fixed the surface smoothing problem.Any other suggestions? im still confused on whether this is controlled via the shader or within the GEO model file? (e.g. where is the surface angle & percentage defined?).

Thank you.

PostPosted: 01.10.2008, 22:44 
Engine Developer

The normals and tangent space basis are calculated by ColladaConv. But it tries to preserve the original smoothing group information by looking at the Collada normals. So it is important that the smoothing looks correctly in your DCC program and that the normals are exported to the Collada file.

PostPosted: 03.10.2008, 20:29 

Thanks marciano, must be a problem still then with the Collada exporter from Modo.

Managed to find couple of minutes to start on the new revision for the testing environment, the picture below is for ingame scale reference at 1, 2 & 4 meters. A joining section will have a more generalised theme with a few ramps, buildings, tunnels etc.

(picture is from modo302)

I was thinking of finding some SVN space rather than release in individual archives - makes it easier to update and means I can fiddle with the folder layout without having to back date. Are their any specific requests for something you might find useful to have included?

Thank you.

PostPosted: 05.10.2008, 13:07 
Tool Developer

Maybe we can create an asset directory or something like that in the community branch?

PostPosted: 05.10.2008, 13:55 

I'd actually say that models should not be in the same directory as the sources because they can quickly get large. I'd say we shouldn't place it in /trunk/assets but rather in /other/assets/trunk or something like that.

PostPosted: 04.11.2008, 15:06 

right new version available for download (updated the first post in the thread). Unfortunately the lift at the moment doesn't have animations, and probably won't until I can find some time figure it out. A couple of the cylinders and some of the circuit needs the surface smoothing values increased, though as it took about 15 minutes to adjust the DAE tags by hand for the first conversion I fancied not doing it again anytime soon :)

The small multi story building has internal flight of stairs.

Measurements as follows for the DAE file on conversion:
<unit meter="1.0" name="meter" />

Best Regards.

Thank you.