Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 27.04.2024, 10:10

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 12.02.2010, 08:31 

Trying to get the tutorial projects working on my mac, but I keep getting an error "glfw.h: no such file or directory" when I try to build it. I was trying to include the libglfw.a file the Horde3D project produces, but that didn't work. I tried downloading and compiling glfw myself and linking that framework, but that didn't do it.(may have done something wrong though) Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

PostPosted: 12.02.2010, 09:49 
Tool Developer

camcez wrote:
Trying to get the tutorial projects working on my mac, but I keep getting an error "glfw.h: no such file or directory" when I try to build it. I was trying to include the libglfw.a file the Horde3D project produces, but that didn't work.

You can't include a lib, you can only link it, so including libglfw.a would never work. The glfw.h should be in the Horde3D package. Just search for it and adjust your include directories to contain the path the file is located in. What tutorial projects do you working with? Did you mean the knight and chicago samples? Did you use CMake to create the makefiles?

PostPosted: 12.02.2010, 16:46 

Volker wrote:
camcez wrote:
Trying to get the tutorial projects working on my mac, but I keep getting an error "glfw.h: no such file or directory" when I try to build it. I was trying to include the libglfw.a file the Horde3D project produces, but that didn't work.

You can't include a lib, you can only link it, so including libglfw.a would never work. The glfw.h should be in the Horde3D package. Just search for it and adjust your include directories to contain the path the file is located in. What tutorial projects do you working with? Did you mean the knight and chicago samples? Did you use CMake to create the makefiles?

Yes, I was trying to link libglfw.a as a framework. I just assumed that's how you would do it.... but I just added glfw.h and all my nebulous glfw errors went away! Thank you so much!

Unfortunately I now have the main error that is so perplexing to me:

"Horde3D.h: no such file or directory"

That is IN Horde3DUtils.h!! The frameworks are linked in my project. I tried adding Horde3D.h to the project, but that introduced 20 more errors. Any advice? Thanks

PostPosted: 12.02.2010, 19:09 
Tool Developer

Make sure your Horde3DUtils project contains the path to the Horde3D.h file in the include directories. I'm a bit confused about your setup. You aren't using the official CMake configuration, do you? If your aren't using the official package and/or the usual directory structure in the svn, I doubt someone here can give you a hint what you have to change to let you successfully build your project.

PostPosted: 13.02.2010, 07:57 

Volker wrote:
Make sure your Horde3DUtils project contains the path to the Horde3D.h file in the include directories.

Hmm, you have me a little confused now. What do you mean by this? Is there an extra step where I build Horde3DUtils seperately from the main Horde3D building step?

Volker wrote:
I'm a bit confused about your setup. You aren't using the official CMake configuration, do you? If your aren't using the official package and/or the usual directory structure in the svn, I doubt someone here can give you a hint what you have to change to let you successfully build your project.

I am using the official CMake configurations. Everything I'm doing is straight from the wiki and tutorials as best I understand it.

My steps after downloading Horde3D are to first use CMake to build the horde3d.xcodeproj. I then open that project and build Horde3D in xcode. This creates the Horde3D and Horde3DUtils frameworks. I then link those frameworks in the project that I'm building, right?

Right now I'm just trying to get the first tutorial project running. I copied what was on the tutorial and wrote the extra window handling code with glfw. In my project I currently have my source files,(mytutorial.h, mytutorial.cpp) the header you just had me include,(glfw.h) and the two frameworks that are built when I build Horde3D.(Horde3D.framework and Horde3DUtils.framework) Is there something I'm missing here?

PostPosted: 13.02.2010, 09:27 
Tool Developer

If you are creating a C++ project that uses external libraries you have to make sure that your project can find the necessary include files as well as the static/shared libraries you are using. Horde3D comes with two shared libraries. The core library Horde3D and the Utils library Horde3DUtils. Both have a header file, but the Utils header file includes the one of the core library too. So if you have an error that tells you that the Horde3D.h file can't be found, you have to make sure, that the project you are building when you get this error has the directory where the Horde3D header files are located as an additional include directory.
I don't have a mac so I'm not familiar with XCode and can't tell you how to specify include directories for your project. Maybe there is a documentation for XCode somewhere.

I'm not sure which tutorial in the wiki you mean. If you are able to compile the XCode project that is created by the CMake configuration, you should also be able to run the chicago and knight sample. Did you have problems running them, or did you have problems setting up a new XCode project using Horde3D? The tutorial under http://www.horde3d.org/docs/html/_tutorial.html is not intended to be a stand alone solution for a new project. It was only created for making you familiar with the Horde3D API. I'm sorry but setting up a new project in the C++ IDE of your choice is something that is very platform and user specific and therefore not part of the Horde3D documentation.