Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 27.04.2024, 12:49

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 13.06.2010, 03:41 

Hello All!

So Ive downloaded the source code for the GameEngine and have been trying to build the VS2005 and VS2008 Projects on my windows box with varying success. After a successful release build with some warnings it makes a a Build folder with Release folders withing the different component folders with a lot of obj files but I cant find any executables. So is it supposed to generate an Editor exe with the game engine components or do I need to configure it differently? Has anyone been successful in compiling Windows binaries from the source code? Does anyone have a copy I can debug against?

Mind you I'm somewhat of a noob to C++ Developing. Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 15.06.2010, 00:21 

Ok so after looking into to it more Ive managed to isolate the problems.
Im using Visual Studio 2008 and I compiled Qt 4.6.2 from source for VS2008 and have the add-in installed on Windows 7 x64. Im trying to compile the Horde3DEditor_2008_with_GameEngine.sln solution, Configuration: Release Win32.

First I was getting alot of errors saying it could not find the Qt include files and managed to fix it by adding the Qt include dirs in Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions > VC++ Directories.

However I'm still getting this fatal error with the GameEnginePlugIn project:
Code:
c1xx : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'C:\qt-4.6.2/include': Permission denied

It seems to think the directory is a file. Ive checked my windows environment variables ($(QTDIR)) and folder permissions and found no problems there. Also whats with the unix-style forward slash, could that be it? They seem not to break anything else, so I doubt it.
Out of the 31 projects in the solution this is the only one failing. And of course the other projects in the solutions include Qt, so I'm baffled!

On a side note I'm also getting this warning:
Code:
Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were not found:
$(GAMEENGINEPLUGIN)

Is this supposed to refer to a dll or a directory? I cant even seem to find where this its being invoked!
How do I define this? Do I define it in the Windows environment variables or within VS2008?

PostPosted: 15.06.2010, 09:17 

Just delete this variable from project settings and everything should compile. Met the same problem with VS2005 solution.

PostPosted: 15.06.2010, 09:20 
Tool Developer

Well the access denied error with your Qt include directory is something specific to Windows 7 and your computer configuration. The $(GAMEENGINEPLUGIN) environment variable warning can be ignored (if I remember correctly), because it's only a warning not an error.

PostPosted: 15.06.2010, 14:23 

Thanks! I assumed warnings aren't much to worry about.

So I'm curious, has anyone been able to compile that solution in Windows 7/Vista? Has anyone been able to figure out a functioning workaround for the permission denied error?

It was mentioned on the IRC channel to open up and check the relevant Qt .pro file.
When I do this I get alot of errors mentioning not being able to find qpluginbase.pri (a qt file in qt/src/plugins), but this doesn't seem to explain why I get this error in the first place.

Any hints toward the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: 15.06.2010, 14:29 
Tool Developer

I already built it under Windows 7 with VS2008. The only difference I had was that I installed Qt under D:\ not C:\, don't know maybe Windows 7 limits acces to the C:\ partition. Or you may try to start VS with Admin rights

PostPosted: 15.06.2010, 17:49 

Volker wrote:
I already built it under Windows 7 with VS2008. The only difference I had was that I installed Qt under D:\ not C:\, don't know maybe Windows 7 limits acces to the C:\ partition. Or you may try to start VS with Admin rights

Did you compile Qt from source for VS2008 or did you use the installer? Did you ever run into this error yourself? Ive also tried running VS2008 with admin rights, but got the same results.

Some people have even mentioned that after attempting the build over and over again it eventually worked, but Ive had no such luck. :cry:

PostPosted: 15.06.2010, 19:37 
Tool Developer

I compiled it myself

PostPosted: 15.06.2010, 23:58 

NonServiam wrote:
Ok so after looking into to it more Ive managed to isolate the problems.
Im using Visual Studio 2008 and I compiled Qt 4.6.2 from source for VS2008 and have the add-in installed on Windows 7 x64. Im trying to compile the Horde3DEditor_2008_with_GameEngine.sln solution, Configuration: Release Win32.

First I was getting alot of errors saying it could not find the Qt include files and managed to fix it by adding the Qt include dirs in Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions > VC++ Directories.

However I'm still getting this fatal error with the GameEnginePlugIn project:
Code:
c1xx : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'C:\qt-4.6.2/include': Permission denied

It seems to think the directory is a file. Ive checked my windows environment variables ($(QTDIR)) and folder permissions and found no problems there. Also whats with the unix-style forward slash, could that be it? They seem not to break anything else, so I doubt it.
Out of the 31 projects in the solution this is the only one failing. And of course the other projects in the solutions include Qt, so I'm baffled!

On a side note I'm also getting this warning:
Code:
Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were not found:
$(GAMEENGINEPLUGIN)

Is this supposed to refer to a dll or a directory? I cant even seem to find where this its being invoked!
How do I define this? Do I define it in the Windows environment variables or within VS2008?

Just want to chip in and say that I get the exact same error message when running in release mode. (Window 7 32Bit, Configuration: Release Win32)
Code:
Error   1   fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt/include': Permission denied   c1xx

However it works fine in Debug mode and I used that generated .exe ever since.

I am having some crashes on specific occasions, but I think I'll post those somewhere else.

PostPosted: 16.06.2010, 02:17 

I finally got it to compile using the release win32 config on Windows 7 x64 without errors by adding ".\" to the Additional Include Directories in the GameEnginePlugin project! :lol:

For good measure I disabled my anti-virus (which didn't fix it before), and gave admin privileges to devenv.exe (VS9 executable) and nmake.exe (Not sure it that made a difference though).

Can anyone else confirm this fixes that the permission denied error? Hopefully this can help other folks out there with the same problem! :D

PostPosted: 16.06.2010, 10:17 

NonServiam wrote:
I finally got it to compile using the release win32 config on Windows 7 x64 without errors by adding ".\" to the Additional Include Directories in the GameEnginePlugin project!

Confirmed.
No need for your "good measures" :wink:

Thanks!