Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 27.04.2024, 15:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Building Issues
PostPosted: 14.07.2011, 02:38 

This is likely a really easy problem that I just can't figure out. I recently made the move to linux (Ubuntu), and the process of building Horde3D is killing me.

Whenever I try to use cMake in any of the folders except 'Horde3D/source' I get an error saying OpenGl and X11 are not found. When I try to build from the source folder I get an error saying that -lGl cannot be found. I'm fairly confident that it's a matter of me not having something installed, but I have no idea what that would be.

Thank you all in advance.

cMake Error:
Code:
ERROR OPENGL not found!
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
X11_LIBRARY
    linked by target "Chicago" in directory /home/neachdainn/Projects/Horde3D/Horde3D_SDK_1.0.0_Beta5/Horde3D/Samples/Chicago
    linked by target "Knight" in directory /home/neachdainn/Projects/Horde3D/Horde3D_SDK_1.0.0_Beta5/Horde3D/Samples/Knight

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

make error:
Code:
Linking CXX shared library libHorde3D.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL                                                                     
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [Horde3DEngine/libHorde3D.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Horde3DEngine/CMakeFiles/Horde3D.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Post subject: Re: Building Issues
PostPosted: 14.07.2011, 16:30 

Elnof wrote:
Whenever I try to use cMake in any of the folders except 'Horde3D/source' I get an error saying OpenGl and X11 are not found. When I try to build from the source folder I get an error saying that -lGl cannot be found. I'm fairly confident that it's a matter of me not having something installed, but I have no idea what that would be.

I'm using arch linux, so i'm not sure about exact locations and packages, but firstly you need to check if you have correct drivers.
For nvidia it would be 'apt-get install nvidia-current-dev'. Then, i would probably check if i have libGL in my path by 'ldconfig -p | grep libGL'. Currently i'm on windows so you can try that and post your results. If noone will answer, i'll reboot and think what next :)

PostPosted: 14.07.2011, 21:47 

I have nvidia-current-dev installed and I did run 'ldconfig -p | grep libG'.

Code:
        libGLU.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1
        libGLU.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libGLU.so.1
        libGLU.so (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libGLU.so
        libGL.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/nvidia-current/libGL.so.1
        libGL.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/nvidia-current/libGL.so.1
        libGL.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/nvidia-current/libGL.so
        libGL.so (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.4.20) => /usr/lib32/libGL.so
        libGL.so (libc6) => /usr/lib32/nvidia-current/libGL.so

I have no idea what that means, and Horde still wont compile. Is this a path issue? Sorry again for being so linux ignorant.

PostPosted: 15.07.2011, 16:48 

Nothing comes to my mind why he can't find libGL.so which is an openGL library. I'm currently going on holiday, so i can't help You within two weeks, although i am sure someone will do.
Just to be sure, you can try paste
Code:
echo "void main() {}" > test.c && gcc -lGL test.c && rm a.out
into your shell. If it won't work (which probably won't) you can wait here for answer, or go ask at general linux forum (such as http://ubuntuforums.org/) describing that "above command outputs <paste error>".
Your linker can't find or recognize libGL.so (OpenGL library) while compiling Horde3D - that's basically your problem.
So, until someone will assist you properly, you can play with LD_FLAGS, reinstalling graphics drivers or i don't know. Just make guesses - it usually works.
I'm sorry that i can't help you as i would like to.

EDIT: oh, one more thing. Most problems can be solved by searching for error which you're getting. So, in this case it would be http://www.google.pl/#q=%22%2Fusr%2Fbin%2Fld%3A%20cannot%20find%20-lGL%22 or http://www.google.pl/#q=%22ERROR+OPENGL+not+found!%22

PostPosted: 17.07.2011, 02:03 

I did find a solution to this, though it's rather inelegant: I installed everything in the repository that was related to OpenGL and had '-dev' on the end. It builds now. I'm having some issues with running the Knight demo, but I feel like I'll be able to figure stuff out. Thank you for the help, everyone!