Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 27.04.2024, 18:43

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: new guy seeking guidance
PostPosted: 14.10.2012, 06:55 

Hello,
First I want to state I am an accountant. I have no programming training or skills. I am teaching myself until I can begin formal studies in winter quarter.
My son and I have been playing an open source game and enjoy it very much. But, in our opinion it needs to be further developed. There seems to be a hierarchy within the community and the more advanced developers have no interest in taking the game to the next level.
I would like to do this.
So,
I have decided to use Code::Blocks to manage the C++ programming as it is cross platform so I am assuming the code will be easily migrated to build for Ubuntu, Mac, Widows, and eventually other flavors of Linux. Which seems to be needed by reading the posts on the games forum board.
Now my question. After a search on the General Board and this board I found no posts on how to install this application in either windows or Ubuntu. If some one knows of any clear and easily understandable instructions on how to complete these tasks I would be very appreciative.

Thank you,
Bill

PostPosted: 15.10.2012, 21:40 
Tool Developer

I wonder what you mean with "this application". Horde3D is only a SDK for programming OpenGL based 3D applications.

How to compile the SDK under Windows or Ubuntu can be found in the wiki.

PostPosted: 22.10.2012, 20:57 

I believe you are wrong volker.
I see no documentation as to what to do with the SDK.
Do I throw it in C:\ or maybe VS or maybe C::B?
Do I need to add it to my PATH?
Do I copy the entire SDK into my C::B project file and then add files recursively?
Do I stick it some place on the network file server and call it a day?

Could you actually send me a link that sheds light on these questions?

PostPosted: 22.10.2012, 21:21 

Then of course there is the question of can horde be used on Ubuntu?

PostPosted: 23.10.2012, 19:35 

Horde should run on windows, linux and mac.
You should probably use cmake to generate the project files for your preferred IDE. You can grab cmake in Ubuntu Software Center. Run cmake gui, select cmakelists.txt in the folder where you placed your downloaded source files, and generate project file for your IDE. Then you can compile horde and samples from your IDE.
I'm by no means a linux guru and maybe missed something or made a mistake in some steps, but it should be something like that.

PostPosted: 30.10.2012, 20:01 

I run horde on ubuntu just fine, and it runs great.

The build instructions here are good, and worked for me:

http://www.horde3d.org/wiki/index.php5? ... ng_Horde3D

Make sure you have all the necessary libs. If you run cmake, it'll tell you what your missing if anything, then just "sudo apt-get install libName" and try cmake again.

If you are new to programmingin general, you may want to try a different language than c++. C++ can be frustrating for new programers, where as higher level languages abstract a lot of the concepts away at the expense of performance. There are some nice bindings for scripting lanuages like lua, as well as the bindings I've written for Go (http://code.google.com/p/gohorde/).