Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.03.2024, 08:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 03.04.2013, 01:19 

Hello all,

Newbie here trying to get things around with this engine. Building was just a breeze which is really nice and the examples are great. :)

I'm trying to get these effects enabled in the Chicago example:

HDR - I copied some settings from the Knight sample and it worked perfectly.
Bloom - I see this example code but I don't know where skinning.shader.xml and skinning_metal.shader.xml is..
Depth of Field - Any working example of the code?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 03.04.2013, 11:41 

Hi, rasteron.
Bloom: The shaders in wiki were created for earlier version of Horde (for beta 2 or beta 3) and they will not work with the current version. You'll have to adapt them to the new format (.shader). The difference between them is that the old one is xml-based, and the new one is text-based format. Much of the code can be copied right away to the new shader, you'll have to write the FX section and it should work.
DOF: There is an old thread about depth-of-field effect, some links are still online. But you'll have to rewrite shaders as well.

PostPosted: 03.04.2013, 14:42 

Ok thanks for the info Irdis. Yes, I tried that one earlier and found that it is only in binary format, I'm not sure if the coding will be applied straight using pipeline, materials and shaders. Another issue would be the skybox (blurry) which is also being affected by DOF in that demo.

Would there be a default (SSAO, DOF, Bloom) on future releases/versions? :)

PostPosted: 03.04.2013, 16:31 

As for the coding, pretty much everything in Horde is done outside of the program through shaders and pipeline files. You cannot control every step of the pipeliine inside the code, you can only set some of the stages off and on, everything else is done in the file.

As for the DOF and other effects as default functionality - probably not, because marciano (engine developer) recently said that there probably won't be a lot of updates for Horde this year, since he is busy with his main work (there is no default functionality for transparency either yet :) But it is easily added through shaders).

PostPosted: 03.04.2013, 16:49 

Ok, I guess I have to settle for now with what I can find here. Yes, I did notice that the effects are added by file, that's cool 8)

Horde looks simple and powerful. Sad to hear that there won't be too much updates. I would like to help in any way I can like creating a very simple model viewer or anything useful. I'm just beginning to learn what this engine can do and hopefully build our upcoming project with it.

I never knew that adding shader effects is easy.. and then there's Horde :)

PostPosted: 03.04.2013, 20:05 
Tool Developer

For quick trial and error coding of shaders you also may want to take a look into the instant reloading feature of the editor.

PostPosted: 04.04.2013, 07:38 

Thanks Volker. I will definitely try that out. BTW, is the editor here the same (features) as the editor that comes with the Horde Game Engine?

PostPosted: 04.04.2013, 08:34 
Tool Developer

AFAIK there is only one editor. But you should use the SVN version from the community branch.

PostPosted: 04.04.2013, 08:38 

Ok great, thanks.