Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.03.2024, 11:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 06.05.2013, 12:54 

Hello, I am kind of programmer, and not a lawyer, could you explain me some examples where and how I can use Horde3d?

I am talking about this thing:
Quote:
Basically it allows you to use Horde3D in free and commercial projects as long as you contribute improvements like bug fixes, optimizations and code refactorings back to the community.

First of all, I am not that smart to make improvements to core, so I don't have anything to send back to community. Can I use Horde3d to build closed source commercial game?

If no, what's enough to do that? If I hire some cool developer and he make one or two changes in core and I send you this, this is enough for me to use Horde3D all my life? Or I must send you improvements all the time until my game released?
Not that I looking for wormholes, this is just kind of unclear.

PostPosted: 06.05.2013, 15:02 

Kosmos wrote:
First of all, I am not that smart to make improvements to core, so I don't have anything to send back to community. Can I use Horde3d to build closed source commercial game?.

Yes you can, but you should contribute back the changes you have made to the Horde3D if any.

PostPosted: 06.05.2013, 16:32 

ok, thank you. I will try to contribute something, but my knowledge at this things is not that high... in OpenGL especially

PostPosted: 10.09.2013, 16:17 

The point, BTW, is that you don't need to contribute to the project, you can use it "as is" like a library in your project.

But if you find bugs in Horde3D codebase and solve them, or if you do changes, you have to send your (Horde3d-only related) code back to the community.

PostPosted: 10.09.2013, 17:49 
Tool Developer

Zuck summerized it correct. Use it, if you extend/modify the core code, provide either a public repo with the changes (like e.g. attila) or provide patches you did to the core. If you only write new code (e.g. an extension like the terrain) without modifying the core code you got from SVN or the zip files, you don't have to provide anything (although mentioning the use Horde3D when advertising your own product is always welcome).