Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 18.04.2024, 01:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 28.12.2007, 14:55 

I can't seem to successfully convert dae files exported from Maya or Max using ColladaConv.exe.

If I export a model from sketchup as a Collada file and run it through ColladaConv.exe it works fine i.e. the produced xml file contains geometry, mesh, material and batch references, and loads into Horde as expected. If I do the same with a .dae from Maya or Max it produces the files, but the xml only contains a reference to the .geo file and nothing else.

If I use the batch file I can see it's ignoring non-triangle data, though I have triangulated the mesh. Is there some other step I'm missing?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.12.2007, 18:30 
Engine Developer

The converter can only handle polygonal data and no curves/patches. If you enable triangulation in the ColladaMax exporter polygons of meshes are in fact converted to triangles but that doesn't apply for patches. You have to convert them manually in the Max modifier stack. The ColladaConv support for Max and Maya (both using Feeling Software FCollada) should actually be quite good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.12.2007, 17:00 

I'm not using patches. In Maya I've created a simple cube and applied a basic material, then triangulated it - nothing complex but I'm presumably missing something glaringly obvious :) In Max I've just created a cube but haven't applied any materials to it.

Also, I was a bit ambiguous in my previous post - I've only triangulated the mesh in Maya (using the Triangulate function in the Mesh menu). I don't see any triangulation options in the dae/fbx exporter in Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.01.2008, 17:11 

My experience is that using FCollda when exporting .dae files from 3ds max seems to work much better than Autodesk's dae/fbx exporter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.01.2008, 18:58 

Yup, I tried that one and all was well :)