Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.03.2024, 07:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 27.02.2008, 06:48 

Hello everyone,

So we're thinking about using Horde 3D for a certain project. We were curious if Horde 3D separates openGL state from application state. That is, does it separate texture ids/display list ids/etc from application structures? For example, does the geometry of a particular node store the texture id inside the geometry structure? I hope that example sort of helps me get the question across.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.02.2008, 07:21 

Nope. Unless you mean texture coordinates, in which case those are specified by the geometry.

Meshes have default materials (which contain references to textures) but its a finger pointing thing and you can change the materials at runtime or use all sorts of tricks that the xml lets you get away with. There's a whole lot of finger pointing going on in Horde, but nothing CEGUI nasty-like.

In short I'd describe it as a "don't duplicate! reference!" policy.

Horde uses vertex buffers instead of display lists, those are in the geometry file, though if you wanted to you could dig into the engine and mess with them.

If your question was about how much your application would have to interact with the backend stuff, then not very much. The demos actually make it look worse than it is in practice (because they're demos). You'll assign node handles and resource handles but even if you lose track of them then you've got functions to recover them (though you really shouldn't be losing them in the first place).

Best idea, mess around with it some. After one or two days you'll have answered hundreds of questions via learning.

PostPosted: 28.02.2008, 01:16 

ObeseOgur wrote:
We were curious if Horde 3D separates openGL state from application state. That is, does it separate texture ids/display list ids/etc from application structures?!

Hi, I'm not sure that I quite understand what you're asking...
but if you mean "Does Horde provide an abstraction of GL, where you work with Horde objects instead of GL ID numbers?", then the answer is yes ;)