Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 26.06.2024, 02:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: .NET binding updates?
PostPosted: 26.08.2008, 17:03 

Hi.
I'm just started with Horde3D, and I'm using C# with Horde's .NET binding. Recently I discovered there is no get/setNodeAttachmentString and get/setNodeName functions in the latest SVN sources, and get/setNodeParamstr function should be used instead. There might be more differences. So it would be great if binding was up to date with sources. Why isn't it on the SVN?

PostPosted: 26.08.2008, 19:16 

n00b note : I have used C#.net and it is the most powerful language in the .net package and supported very well in CodeProject.com .

But there is a big problem with .net framework ; Because of it's low code execution speed and high cpu and memory usage it's not suitable for 3D realtime games.
3D game programming with C#.net is very ez and reduces the code at least 60% but you can't get the required in game performance and fps.

It's about 3 month that I have switched on C++ for primary language to programming games and other applications.Using C++ will result in higher framerates and performance.
I recommend that you use Code::Blocks IDE for programming your games and other applications.
It provides many useful features that well known MSVCS lacks such as :
-C::B is crossplatform (Windows, Linux and Mac)
-C::B is compatible with MinGW/GCC (Integrated compiler), MSVC , DMC and ...
-C::B uses wxWidgets (Integrated wxSmith) that helps you to design app gui very easy similar to MSVCS and it is clossplatform too, it means your app will be displayed in every platform as you designed
-C::B provides code completion and extends with plugins and it supports DevPacks too
-C::B is multithreaded and supports GDB for debugging

Please think about choosing language carefully before starting game development and which is most important to you , high game performance or small amount of code writting :?:

Hope this informations helps you :wink:

PostPosted: 26.08.2008, 21:43 

Well I did some measurements for you.
Original samples
Knight: ~340FPS, 37Mb memory allocated
Chicago: 480-490FPS, 35Mb
Samples from .NET binding
Knight: 330-340FPS :!: , 41Mb
Chicago: ~420FPS, 39Mb
Note: I reduced people in both Chicago samples from 100 to 10 to get higher numbers.

It's important to mention that c++ samples linked static to .lib files, when c# ones are accessing DLLs trough wrapper, and DLL calls could also take some time. You can google on c# vs c++ clean performance in typical tasks, c# sometimes might be even faster.

So I don't think those are bad results :) It's enough suitable for my needs.
For a real example of using .Net for gamedev you can look up NeoAxis engine. It's written in c# and uses wrappers for OGRE, ODE and some other libs. It runs very smoothly.

And after all, I just don't like c++ :D

PostPosted: 26.08.2008, 23:26 

AFAIK Volker is the current maintainer for the .net bindings. He is on vacation and with his new job it would probably not be a bad idea to look for a new .net bindings maintainer, or if someone is more adventurous a .net port ;)

PostPosted: 27.08.2008, 04:53 

creyzee wrote:
Well I did some measurements for you.
Original samples
Knight: ~340FPS, 37Mb memory allocated
Chicago: 480-490FPS, 35Mb
Samples from .NET binding
Knight: 330-340FPS :!: , 41Mb
Chicago: ~420FPS, 39Mb
Note: I reduced people in both Chicago samples from 100 to 10 to get higher numbers.

It's important to mention that c++ samples linked static to .lib files, when c# ones are accessing DLLs trough wrapper, and DLL calls could also take some time. You can google on c# vs c++ clean performance in typical tasks, c# sometimes might be even faster.

So I don't think those are bad results :) It's enough suitable for my needs.
For a real example of using .Net for gamedev you can look up NeoAxis engine. It's written in c# and uses wrappers for OGRE, ODE and some other libs. It runs very smoothly.

And after all, I just don't like c++ :D

I'm agree with you , the results are not too bad :wink:
But there is another big problem that it was the main reason to I return to C++ from C#.net ; Take a look at the download.com or others, What is the number of download times of a .NET application or game.Most of people don't like to install .net framework (~55mb I think) for loadeing a game or application how much it will be useful ; At last they will search for Win32 apps or games that they don't require .netfx :|
If you are a big game company there is no problem, you can bundle the latest .netfx with your game cd or dvd and solve the problem but you won't able to provide the crossplatform ability and you must programming game for each platform separately. :idea:

In the last 3years I was too serious about C# programming like you but currently I'm using C# for home made applications and C++ for games and time critical applications. :idea:
I say continue the C# programming parallel with C++ like me because many of software companies are immigrating form C++ to C# for their future projects . :wink:

PostPosted: 11.09.2008, 21:31 

Actually, the .NET Framework is used in a lot of applications nowadays. Most commonly, it can be found on almost all ATI installs due to the fact that Catalyst Control Center requires .NET Framework.

The usual argument behind using C# in games is that it's too slow. However, any decent computer would be able to handle it with no problem.

Not to mention, I do believe that the .NET Framework shows up as an update in Windows Update. Though I could be mistaken.

DDd wrote:
AFAIK Volker is the current maintainer for the .net bindings. He is on vacation and with his new job it would probably not be a bad idea to look for a new .net bindings maintainer, or if someone is more adventurous a .net port ;)

It's a good thing too. It may not look like it, but a lot of people use the .net bindings. Many thanks go out to Volker.

PostPosted: 11.09.2008, 21:59 

Haruyasha wrote:
The usual argument behind using C# in games is that it's too slow. However, any decent computer would be able to handle it with no problem.

sorry but this logic fails as the decent games need to make more computations.
well... old game on new computer is something cool :P

PostPosted: 12.09.2008, 13:48 

kal wrote:
Haruyasha wrote:
sorry but this logic fails as the decent games need to make more computations. well... old game on new computer is something cool :P
C# is not slow (nor is Java, Python, etc.). They can be used badly (usually by people used to C/C++), but when used properly they are not noticeably slower.

PostPosted: 12.09.2008, 13:53 
Tool Developer

Concerning the updates. Nicolas and I plan to add the C# bindings to the main SVN repository. We will then offer a separate download file (like the one for the extension) on the SF pages, with the next Beta2 release. But as we are quite busy at the moment this can take a little bit time.

PostPosted: 28.01.2009, 16:46 

Any update? We've been very interested in what's going on with .Net bindings. Love to hear Volker has managed to find time to push this forwards. We have the .Net skills and motivation to help maintain this if we adopt it. We don't have OpenGL experience but 3+ years of real experience in DirectX. Volker, have you managed to move forwards on your aims for .Net? Fingers crossed 2009 offers you a little more time for this great project.

PostPosted: 28.01.2009, 17:07 
Tool Developer

Thanks for offering help!

The .Net bindings for Beta2 are on the SourceForge page. They will be updated in the SVN and released on SF together with the Beta3 release. Since it's not clear what will be changed in the API yet, I won't update them until near completition of the Beta3 release.

If you find any bugs or have improvements in the bindings I would appreciate it if you will post patches and bug reports to the forums, I will then commit patches to the SVN.