Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 10:11

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Fun getting some press
PostPosted: 22.08.2010, 15:07 

Got a bit of press for my new game.. bit early, but fun to get some initial feedback.

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/08/preview_damzel_mindflock.html
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/08/be-a-bodyguard-with-kevin-costner-nowhere-in-sight/
http://kotaku.com/5617611/be-a-bodyguard-with-kevin-costner-nowhere-in-sight
http://beefjack.com/news/damsel-gives-annoying-vips-a-nerve-pinch/

PostPosted: 23.08.2010, 07:10 
Engine Developer

Cool, congratulations :)

Reading the pitch, the game idea sounds indeed very interesting as it so unique. I also like your graphics style which employs the prebaked AO so I think there is a lot of potential for your game.

PostPosted: 23.08.2010, 09:59 

And a nice blog you have there as well!
Enjoyed reading it.

PostPosted: 02.09.2010, 16:53 

Thanks, as ever its all a "work in progress".

PostPosted: 04.09.2010, 02:50 

Did you ever play Black Shades? Might provide some inspirations for the first-person aspect.

PostPosted: 04.09.2010, 07:44 

If anyone mentions black shades ever again, I think I'm going to explode :)

Its certainly going to take some explaining that its NOT black shades though. Which is a pain, I'd rather not go into what its NOT and talk about what it IS. But luckily its far enough away that I can wipe away that similarity when I go to press next time. Thank god the press have short memories (hopefully).

PostPosted: 04.09.2010, 12:20 

zoombapup wrote:
Its certainly going to take some explaining that its NOT black shades though.
Haha! I think the main reason people draw the comparison is the graphical style - your WIP shots have a similarly minimal aesthetic.

PostPosted: 05.09.2010, 00:14 

Yeah, it was an accident that anyone actually posted about it at all. I posted to my twitter account that I'd started it (started it a few months back, but finally new what I wanted to head towards recently) and somehow that got onto a few sites.

Of course now is the long slow grind towards completion that is game development. But its nice to know that people might be interested later on. So this is like a warm hug and a pat on the head to keep me going for the year+ its going to take to develop.

I'll be changing things quite significantly over time though. But I'm enjoying the process of being back at work on a game (spent the last 6 years teaching game design and development) and even more now that its MY game and not someone else's.

Its important for me to make this a very personal development though, so hopefully I can quell some of those black shades comments when I really push the PR forward nearer the release.

PostPosted: 05.09.2010, 01:49 

zoombapup wrote:
But I'm enjoying the process of being back at work on a game (spent the last 6 years teaching game design and development).
I know the feeling well - hoping to get back to work on mine soon.
Quote:
Its important for me to make this a very personal development though, so hopefully I can quell some of those black shades comments when I really push the PR forward nearer the release.
I always forget that anybody else knows what Black Shades is - a few years back it was an abandoned prototype by a couple of guys no one had heard of. Guess the Wolfire guys really have attained fame :wink:

By the sound of your elevator pitch, you should have some very different gameplay, and your graphics are already far more detailed than Black Shades - I imagine as you continue to work it will be a very different game.

PostPosted: 05.09.2010, 12:40 

Yeah, I know the wolfire guys a bit. Its kind of hard to ignore a ninja rabbit game if youre into unique and interesting ideas for games on PC :)

The whole "black shades" similarity is superficial really. My intention is so far away from the gameplay of black shades you might as well compare the game to Dragon Age in that I'm borrowing a mechanic from it (the space bar time stop mechanic).

Hopefully the aesthetic and mechanical differences will at least lift me out of that mental picture of black shades. If nothing else, I'm aiming to get my own mental picture in people's heads.