Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 09:57

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 26.06.2012, 14:47 

Time to show off two of the projects I integrated into my Horde3D applications recently:

RecastNavigation:

I integrated the RecastNavigation demo, meaning all its functionality and the great GUI are available in Horde3D:

I took a shot at modeling the University of Augsburg since I needed a realistic environment for my master thesis (old support thread here).

Here's a test with the Sponza Atrium model just for fun:

GLConsole:

About a year ago I discovered GLConsole and finally took the time to get it running in Horde3D:

It's like the Quake or the HalfLife console and makes it easy to change program variables at runtime.
It has auto-complete functionality, persistent command history, and it is possible to save and load specified variable-values, which I hopefully will be able to use for my agents and their individual settings later on.

Next I'll have to get my agents some brains...

PostPosted: 19.07.2012, 16:36 

Small update:
After I had the recast demo working in Horde3d I started working on using the library with the GameEngine.

So far I created a DetourComponent for the GameEngine, which uses the Detour and DetourUtils libraries for global pathfinding. One can attach it to any entity and specify the navmesh (binary files created using the demo) the entity is supposed to be using for its navmesh queries.
The path resulting from a query can be visualized, just like the used navmesh, though only one navmesh at a time.

PostPosted: 20.07.2012, 22:46 
Tool Developer

Nice work. Since you seem to be a student at the university of augsburg, it would be nice if the old augsburg town model could be reactivated for your demos :-)

PostPosted: 30.07.2012, 16:11 

Volker wrote:
Since you seem to be a student at the university of augsburg, it would be nice if the old augsburg town model could be reactivated for your demos :-)

I gave it a shot, but sadly the result looks like this:

The city's mesh seems to be quite messy with lots of "holes" and unnecessary/duplicated geometry. Shouldn't be that hard to clean it up in 3ds Max (texturing might be a pain..), but I do not have the time to do that atm.

At least I now have tested creating a navmesh using multiple geometries (city, tables(far right), and fountain).

PostPosted: 25.09.2012, 09:03 

Small update:

I finished a DetourCrowd component which uses the crowd module from the RecastNavigation project to "handle a lot of the path management for you, but also local steering and dynamic avoidance between members of the crowd."

Another "finished" component is called "RVO2" and uses the RVO2 library from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
It currently (in comparison to the DetourCrowd component) only allows steering in 2D and can only using static world obstacles defined before starting the simulation (the characters with the colored trails are rvo2 agents).

Additionally I added RTS like navigation to the application to select units (orange rectangle), set a target for selected agents (green particles), and add single, or a group of agents in a square or circle formation.

Now that I have these steering libraries working, I'm back on focusing on my vision based steering behavior and see how it'll compare.

PostPosted: 21.11.2012, 21:31 

Seems like I prematurely blamed the augsburg model for my own mistakes :)
I found some errors in my geometry-parsing function while adding single-mesh support to my recast demo.

Anyways, new pictures:

Next step is to fix some input handling errors and then migrating the project from my private repository to the public gameengine svn. Stay tuned :D

PostPosted: 21.11.2012, 22:25 
Tool Developer

Looking forward, to Augsburg Cityrun reloaded :-)

BTW. Congratulations to your nice work.