Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 09:42

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Baked lighting test
PostPosted: 23.08.2009, 19:11 

Just thought I'd share a shot of an ambient occlusion bake test scene I've just done. Dont expect anything other than programmer art :)

Adding lightmap support was really quite easy. Its getting max to bake a half-decent AO pass thats a pain. I really need to get Tim an arty type to teach me how to bake AO using mental ray (light tracer is just too lame, but tis the easiest way I know to bake AO).

We've got a test scene in the works that Tim wanted to test out various game-engine style rendering stuff with (he teaches game art, while I teach game programming and design). Not sure he'll want to share that with the H3D community. But at the least, it should at least demo some stuff thats possible with horde.

Post subject: Re: Baked lighting test
PostPosted: 24.08.2009, 07:38 

Nice - just to clarify though, the hard shadows (not the nice edge softening) in the pic are from Horde's shadow-mapping, not your lightmaps, right?

I wasn't aware that Max could bake out lighting into maps like that -- the artists at work always bake their lighting into the vertex colour channel, which can look bad unless you tessellate the mesh a lot.

PostPosted: 24.08.2009, 10:48 

Is their anychance on releasing or lending the shader for some testing :). One of the content packs has an AO pass, but im not sure if the supplied GEO has the second UV channel exported.

Looking good.

Let's bring 'em out! Any old iron! Any old iron!
A door opens and a homewife brings out a rather sophisticated-looking ground-to-air missile system, and dumps it on the cart.
Thank you.

PostPosted: 24.08.2009, 11:47 

DarkAngel wrote:
Nice - just to clarify though, the hard shadows (not the nice edge softening) in the pic are from Horde's shadow-mapping, not your lightmaps, right?

I wasn't aware that Max could bake out lighting into maps like that -- the artists at work always bake their lighting into the vertex colour channel, which can look bad unless you tessellate the mesh a lot.

Yeah, the hard shadows are Horde. The soft shadow stuff is a really poorly done ambient pass rendered in max (using render to texture and a single skylight).

Normally, you wouldnt do it this way. You would use something like mental ray or vray and a proper unwrapper like unwrella or flatiron. Or even use something like that one from illuminate labs. Needless to say, they look a damn sight nicer than my test level.

PostPosted: 24.08.2009, 11:52 

PuG wrote:
Is their anychance on releasing or lending the shader for some testing :). One of the content packs has an AO pass, but im not sure if the supplied GEO has the second UV channel exported.

Looking good.

http://www.britishindie.com/video/aomaze.zip

If you get that zip, it should have the test level (in max and collada format), the model.shader file with the F06 shader switch plus materials and textures to load the mesh.

Note: If you run the collada file through collada conv again, it will change the material file name. I hand-edited the grey material one (and the scene) because I hate the names the max file uses when it exports into collada. Call me obsessive if you like :)

Let me know if you need anything else. Basically, all you need is to make sure the lightmap is baked into channel 2. Thinking about it, I could add support for the alpha channel in the shader so I could fade the edges of any lightmaps in my tiles! (Sorry, just thinking to myself, my world is made up of a grid of mesh tiles and I did a test tile but when putting multiples of it on a grid, the lighting at the edges of the tiles looked wierd.

PostPosted: 24.08.2009, 13:16 

Let's bring 'em out! Any old iron! Any old iron!
A door opens and a homewife brings out a rather sophisticated-looking ground-to-air missile system, and dumps it on the cart.
Thank you.