Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 09:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 26.01.2010, 10:32 
Tool Developer

Apart from other reasons that may speak for an uncentralized versioning system like Mercurial it may be time to turn the back on SourceForge because of the
limited user access.

PostPosted: 26.01.2010, 13:27 

Volker wrote:
Apart from other reasons that may speak for an uncentralized versioning system like Mercurial it may be time to turn the back on SourceForge because of the
limited user access.
That (sadly) is a sign of the times, with US policies becoming even more hardline on transfer of information. From that standpoint I would recommend moving to a hosting service based outside of the US (i.e. not google code either).

PostPosted: 26.01.2010, 13:40 

Something that it isn't filtered or blocked in any country. Both of sf svn access and google code are blocked here :?

PostPosted: 26.01.2010, 19:22 

It's things like this that make me want to vomit. so part of the blame for our present state of affairs falls on our people. After all we did elect the guy and I respect the office he carries, but ultimately it's our government that is f#&king things up for FOSS efforts.

PostPosted: 26.01.2010, 19:47 

This limitation for me really sounds like a no-go - but where do you want to go? I don't know any other good free svn hoster.

PostPosted: 26.01.2010, 22:57 

As always the government is idiotic (and Obama is a huge failure and disappointment in every issue, afg/raq war, healthcare, finance, economy, just a huge FAIL! but i digress) and all these restrictions on freedom of information result in nothing but hassle to responsible and honest citizens, cuz we all know Terrorist love to use SF/SVN :roll:

I leave you with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... facilities

edit: A few years ago i used dreamhost for SVN/CVS it's cheap, but support was good as was the service.

Last edited by DDd on 27.01.2010, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 01:14 

Hell, why even pay dreamhost? I'm fairly certain that the University of Augberg would be happy to host the project. It is maintained by students after all. Don't you think they would have some extra server space?

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 01:41 

Orm wrote:
Hell, why even pay dreamhost? I'm fairly certain that the University of Augberg would be happy to host the project. It is maintained by students after all. Don't you think they would have some extra server space?

I am not advising to go to dreamhost, i am simply stating that i have used their service and it was satisfactory. I also posted a link to all the major open source hosting services.

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 01:51 

I know, I was providing an additional option to the group.

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 03:51 

I can recommend http://www.codeplex.com/ i have used them for a project not long ago. They recently added mercurial support, but i do not know the specific details in terms of blocking users from certain countries.

http://www.berlios.de/developers.php.en - Looks very promising, but i have never used them for hosting.

I would disagree with Orm, you do not want to be "hostage" of college facilities for server/bandwidth and administration work. I highly recommend use of own resources or a 3rd party that is well recognized in the OSS community.

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 07:24 

Origo is a project by ETH Zürich in Swiss (http://www.origo.ethz.ch/). Maybe it fits to your needs and already provides the infrastructure you need. If not or you prefer resources that can be better controlled, the Augsburg University certainly would be very pleased to host Horde3D. Although it might depend a bit on how complicated it is to set up the services you need. If it is mainly setting up and maintaining something like SVN, git or Mercurial, it should be no problem at all.

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 10:16 
Tool Developer

I haven't used Mercurial so far, but just read a bit of the documentation,... one of the things I haven't completly understood is how a public repository is managed to allow pushing from different users. On the mercurial site there is a description for BitBucket accounts, but I guess there's no need for a bitbucket account if we would host the public repository somewhere else, is it?

When we change the repository provider I would recommend one that may be a little bit faster than SF, since it's now quite annoying if you just want to check for changes or view the log (although viewing the log may be not the problem when using HG, since it stores a local copy anyway, doesn't it?).

I personally like the idea of hosting Horde3D at the university's server, because at least the access from germany is quite fast. When we decide to use HG the backup problem shouldn't be too much of an issue, since everyone has a complete copy of the whole repository, right? I don't know how much traffic the pull's for the HG repository will cost, but I guess hosting the release files at the university shouldn't be too much of a problem. Currently we got an average download rate of 100MB a day with a peak of 200MB. Although I don't know how much the university has to pay for the traffic I doubt that should be a problem.

On the other hand there is currently no HG infrastructure established at the lab's server, so if the administration guys don't have the time or don't want to go for creating the infrastructure, I guess we should use berlios, since codeplex is from microsoft and therefore will suffer from the foreign country policy by the US too, won't it? And origo, although it seems to be quite clean and simple, does not provide mercurial support, does it?

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 13:59 

hmm is Mercurial a must-have req.?
Ever thought about git?

--Marenz

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 14:12 

Volker wrote:
I haven't used Mercurial so far, but just read a bit of the documentation,... one of the things I haven't completly understood is how a public repository is managed to allow pushing from different users. On the mercurial site there is a description for BitBucket accounts, but I guess there's no need for a bitbucket account if we would host the public repository somewhere else, is it?

When we change the repository provider I would recommend one that may be a little bit faster than SF, since it's now quite annoying if you just want to check for changes or view the log (although viewing the log may be not the problem when using HG, since it stores a local copy anyway, doesn't it?).

I personally like the idea of hosting Horde3D at the university's server, because at least the access from germany is quite fast. When we decide to use HG the backup problem shouldn't be too much of an issue, since everyone has a complete copy of the whole repository, right? I don't know how much traffic the pull's for the HG repository will cost, but I guess hosting the release files at the university shouldn't be too much of a problem. Currently we got an average download rate of 100MB a day with a peak of 200MB. Although I don't know how much the university has to pay for the traffic I doubt that should be a problem.

On the other hand there is currently no HG infrastructure established at the lab's server, so if the administration guys don't have the time or don't want to go for creating the infrastructure, I guess we should use berlios, since codeplex is from microsoft and therefore will suffer from the foreign country policy by the US too, won't it? And origo, although it seems to be quite clean and simple, does not provide mercurial support, does it?

Hell, I personally think version stuff like SVN and repositories is a complete waste of time and not to mention a pain in the arse. If you have a release schedule like you all currently have, then the only people who need SVN are the developers and the end users just need to know about the versioned releases. Then again, I am used to being the sole programmer in my projects. I haven't had much experience working in a group project (which is one of the main reasons for my involvement here).

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 15:05 

I recommend everyone gets familiar with mercurial using the mercurial wiki articles.

Also http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/CvsCo ... red_to_CVS may be helpful.

here is a comparison in case anyone is not familiar with the featureset diffs: http://versioncontrolblog.com/compariso ... index.html

Correct with Mercurial everyone has their own local copies, and local revision history.

My concerns are not so much related to the traffic, i recommend using a third party for several reasons that would take a long time to enumerate. To put things in a simple language: I like to rely on services.

Speed test should not be very hard to do.

I have no idea regarding codeplex foreign policy, perhaps Siavash does?

Mercurial is a good versioning system, it's easy and has a small command set, plus it's well documented. However I have no personal preference as long as it's not CVS. I have used mercurial for netbeans developmentm also git for qt development http://gitorious.org/, svn for a bunch of stuff, etc... I think it's pretty easy for developers to use any system these days, there are GUI tools that make the process easy. For administrators/ maintainers there is more work.

Volker give berlios a try and see if the speed is good. I have used it in the past without issues, people from other points in the globe should try to use it too. I think nothing is slower than SF though :mrgreen: