Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 10:44

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 20.02.2010, 16:57 

Hey everyone! I have developed a 2D sprite rendering system which I have put up on Google Code for anyone to download. It is designed to be as unintrusive as possible, and be considered as more of a utility than a library. I have Horde3D's designers to thank for providing me with the inspiration for Mob's design. Anyway, it is all explained better on the project page at

http://code.google.com/p/mob2d

Please download it and let me know your thoughts. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I am considering renaming (renamed, rather) the project to "Mob2D" not only to reflect its roots here (Mob->Horde, get it?), but to also stop having people confuse it with a scientific data rendering system.

EDIT2: I have decided to expand the scope of the project beyond my original plan so as to be a complete solution to all of ones OpenGL 2D rendering needs. Animated sprites (done), fontmap rendering (with anti-aliasing built in courtesy of GLSL), billboards, layers, anything that one might need, it will be in there. Now I just need to figure out if it's FBO's I want to use for the layers or if I have to reorganize my entire rendering structure. I know I'll have to abstract out the Node class to implement alot of the functionality I listed. Anyway, if anyone else can think of things they would like to see in here, let me know.

Last edited by Orm on 04.03.2010, 04:21, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: 21.02.2010, 04:46 

Congratulations on this release! A 2D engine with the same design philosophy as Horde3D sounds great! Would this be easily adaptable as a horde extension for an overlay/gui alternative or is it too incompatible to be coupled with horde now?

Also wondering, would you consider relicensing this under the EPL like horde3d instead of the GPLv3? It's your project don't let me or others force you to change it, I'm just curious. :)

Congrats again!

PostPosted: 21.02.2010, 20:20 

I'm going to keep it under the GPL for now, maybe switch to EPL later. Personally, as long as everyone knows who/where it came from, I really don't give a damn what license it's under. And I don't see why you would want to make it a Horde3D extension as it already has 2D rendering, save for the animation capability. I still have alot of work to do, such as viewports being independent from the window size and the option of "Drawing to screen" (this has since been implimented, but untested) as opposed to drawing to world, although with the discovery of glUnProject, that should be trivial.

As for adding it as a Horde3D extension, I designed this to work independently from other libraries, including Horde. You really don't need to add it to H3D to use it. Just call DARS rendering functions after you finalize your H3D frame, but before you swap your buffers. All drawing is done when you call
Code:
DARS::api()->FinalizeFrame();

If you want to make a H3D extension out of it yourself, then by all means do so. Just be sure to link back to the project page. I myself, do not plan to make an H3D extension out of it.

Last edited by Orm on 04.03.2010, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24.02.2010, 01:22 

Update!

Cleaned up alot of the code, removed timing functionality, and reorganized the project to a more sane structure. :lol: It is now completely platform independent, the only dependencies being OpenGL and GLU. Go ahead and give DARS 0.1 a look.

PostPosted: 01.03.2010, 18:52 

Juts wanted to provide an update. Numerous improvements have been made and they are all on the SVN.

In addition, I am willing to provide the backend code to this system under the LGPL (with no restrictions as to distribution methods, be it hard coded into Horde or distributed as a DLL) only to be developed as either an extension or an addition/improvement to Horde's overlay system itself.

You're welcome. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Orm on 03.03.2010, 15:46, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 02.03.2010, 00:00 
Engine Developer

Please note that creating a statically linked horde extension under the LGPL is not possible. However, if the library is a separate DLL, for example a layer on top of Horde's overlay functionality, there are no problems.

PostPosted: 02.03.2010, 03:02 

You can hard code it right into the Horde3D core if you want. Let me know when/if you do.