Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 11:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 25.09.2009, 08:39 

I'm looking for suggestions on where to start learning game development, albeit with some hopes as well.

I've been interested in game development since I was about 12 (now, 6 years later), and I've dabbled a bit in some simplistic 2D Game Development (Game Maker, Construct), done a fair bit of modding (Neverwinter Nights, TES III, TES IV), but always wanted to get into actual 3D Game Development. Till now, I haven't had the available resources to really get into it.

So after looking around, weighing options, I thought I'd learn some C++ (as it appears to have the most direct free/open-source resources for game development and such), and see if I can maybe get something going with Horde3D and other things. Well, I'm rather stuck at the first part (which obviously makes the point of the second part moot). I don't think the problem is learning the language so much... Just that the resource I have available right now (Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days! ... Haha) is really, really boring and not at all directed towards game development. Even that's not a huge issue, just that the lessons don't actually turn anything out. I realize the importance of going slow, making sure everything is understood... But with no result to work, it drags very fast! I'm an active learner, and like to see results if I've learned something. I literally fell asleep yesterday drudging through the 4th chapter.

And so, in conclusion, I was hoping someone could perhaps point me in a good direction, one that will have me learning but at the same time producing something tangible, and more oriented towards game development.

If there are suggestions, I'd be very grateful. If not... Well, don't bother breaking it to me gently and I'll sigh and open up the big ol' book again.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 25.09.2009, 09:46 

There are a couple of books by Eric Yuzwa that teach game dev in C++, but reading the comments on them on amazon it seems that they are a bit advanced if you dont know C++ at all.

My recommendation is Deitel and Deitel, which should teach you the fundamentals of C++ (its what our students use). Then supplement that with something like the Yuzwa books.

To be honest, you need to learn the C++ language before the game stuff. Once you have a fair grast of the language and can happily program stuff like linked lists and other data structures, then move onto text based games (we have our students create some text based RPG/rogue type stuff). From there, do some 2D games, I'd recommend indielib for that. Then on to 3D and finally shaders and all that good stuff :)

Its a long road, so dont get yourself down, it can take years.

PostPosted: 27.09.2009, 03:05 

Kelavarus wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions on where to start learning game development, albeit with some hopes as well.

I've been interested in game development since I was about 12 (now, 6 years later), and I've dabbled a bit in some simplistic 2D Game Development (Game Maker, Construct), done a fair bit of modding (Neverwinter Nights, TES III, TES IV), but always wanted to get into actual 3D Game Development. Till now, I haven't had the available resources to really get into it.

So after looking around, weighing options, I thought I'd learn some C++ (as it appears to have the most direct free/open-source resources for game development and such), and see if I can maybe get something going with Horde3D and other things. Well, I'm rather stuck at the first part (which obviously makes the point of the second part moot). I don't think the problem is learning the language so much... Just that the resource I have available right now (Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days! ... Haha) is really, really boring and not at all directed towards game development. Even that's not a huge issue, just that the lessons don't actually turn anything out. I realize the importance of going slow, making sure everything is understood... But with no result to work, it drags very fast! I'm an active learner, and like to see results if I've learned something. I literally fell asleep yesterday drudging through the 4th chapter.

And so, in conclusion, I was hoping someone could perhaps point me in a good direction, one that will have me learning but at the same time producing something tangible, and more oriented towards game development.

If there are suggestions, I'd be very grateful. If not... Well, don't bother breaking it to me gently and I'll sigh and open up the big ol' book again.

Thanks in advance.

The Sams books IMO are the best books on programming money can buy. I'm still a C++ intermediate myself and C++ in 24 hours has been my bible. The biggest thing you can do is learn what Object Oriented Programming theory is rather than focusing specifically on one language, and then everything will fall into place for you. Try making 2D games with C#.NET and you will learn. Making a game, even one as relatively simple as Pong from scratch is a far cry from modding, so there will be a very slow grind.

Another good book I would recommend is Ultimate Game Engine Design and Architecture. He teaches you alot about game engine theory and at the same time provides you with a very basic engine for you to use. I am adapting much of his design into my engine. The only reason I am doing a full game engine is because I am a student in college and this can become a grade for me, so might as well give it my best... and add it to my portfolio.