Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 10:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 07.01.2010, 10:02 
Tool Developer

Interesting reading about OpenGL rendering of GUIs although it is Qt specific.
http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010/01 ... ce-opengl/

Maybe someone has the time to create a GUI integration of Qt Widgets into Horde3D as a separate more heavy dependency project :-)

PostPosted: 07.01.2010, 16:10 

Quote:
Something you may want to consider is allowing the use of shaders on the GUI elements, if that is not already implemented.

All GUI elements already use Horde3D materials for rendering, no part of the pipeline is bypassed.

About that Qt blog post: Currently I only support rectangles anyways, more still needs more time :)

PostPosted: 07.01.2010, 20:17 
Engine Developer

Thanks for creating the hg repositories.

phoenix64 wrote:
What one wants is as many extensions as possible, especially extensions from third party developers like me - and the last thing someone wants is to merge 5 or 6 subversion repositories.

I fully agree here, community (or third party) extensions like yours are a key factor to the overall popularity of horde, especially since our philosophy is to keep the core small (well, for good reasons).

I don't see how DLL plugins would bring any advantage for keeping compatibility since they would also have to use internal functions and get broken when those are refactored. But a distributed structure as you propose might really help a bit since it would encourage community contributions. Git would definitely not be an option because of the bad Windows support but Mercurial looks quite promising. I will discuss the pros and cons in more detail with Volker once we find some time.

PostPosted: 07.01.2010, 20:23 

Quote:
I don't see how DLL plugins would bring any advantage for keeping compatibility

Sure, sure. The thing with DLL plugins is that they are easier to use if there is no good infrastructure to easily integrate plugins directly into a horde3d tree (while keeping that tree up to date), that's why it is either of the two solutions, DLL plugins or a distributed vcs like hg. Of course I totally understand your arguments and support in-tree plugins this way. DLL plugins only were a quick idea on my side, no need to think too much about it.

EDIT:

Edit boxes working.

PostPosted: 17.01.2010, 12:51 
Engine Developer

I have linked to this thread from our slightly polished Extensions wiki page. For later, a dedicated page would of course be a good starting point for users ;)

BTW, phoenix, we have slightly changed the extension interface (it is more straightforward now using an interface instead of function pointers), so a small adaption will be required for your extension.

PostPosted: 23.01.2010, 20:55 

I've finally updated my Horde3D repositories, they now build up on svn r209 (http://bitbucket.org/mgottschlag/horde3dext/changesets/)

It was dead easy to merge the changes btw - you really should think about switching ;D

I will today write a Wiki entry if I find the time, there won't be any code updates this week probably as I am currently working on the project I am needing this for. The GUI definately will see updates as soon as it is integrated though.

PostPosted: 24.01.2010, 17:28 
Engine Developer

phoenix64 wrote:
It was dead easy to merge the changes btw - you really should think about switching ;D

I experimented a bit with hg recently and although I was quite enthusiastic at first, it turned out that it is not as powerful as I would have hoped. What we would really need is good support for cherry picking, that is pulling in just a few specific change sets from different repositories. I think this is not supported well by hg. There seem to be a few extensions which improve the support for cherry picking but the question is how well they integrate with tortoiseHG. I did not spend too much time with it, so if I miss something let me know. Other from that, as it seems to be easy to integrate from svn to hg, is there really the need to switch the official repository?

phoenix64 wrote:
I will today write a Wiki entry if I find the time,...

That would be great!

PostPosted: 25.01.2010, 17:06 

Quote:
What we would really need is good support for cherry picking

Just after your question found that TortoiseHG has great support for the transplant extension. Works just as good as it used to with git, right click on what you want to rebase on your current revision and click on transplant to local. :)
(Works with changeset ranges as well)

Quote:
as it seems to be easy to integrate from svn to hg

It's not *necessary*, and it never was, it just makes things much easier, especially if others send patches back (e.g. I really like to have authorship saved together with the patches, sth the current setup will never allow).

EDIT:
Added a small wiki page after quite some fighting with the Wiki markup. Plz someone upload the last screenshot here as a thumbnail "H3DGUI.jpg" (or .png even, I don't care).

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 22:57 
Engine Developer

phoenix64 wrote:
It's not *necessary*, and it never was, it just makes things much easier, especially if others send patches back (e.g. I really like to have authorship saved together with the patches, sth the current setup will never allow).

We always mention the contributer of a patch, usually by adding (thanks to name) at the end of the commit message. So it should be clear who has contributed what.

PostPosted: 28.01.2010, 16:26 

Quote:
We always mention the contributer of a patch, usually by adding (thanks to name) at the end of the commit message.

Which usually is some nickname which doesn't really tell anything. And tools like svn blame? :)

Just works better with git/hg.

PostPosted: 29.01.2010, 22:07 
Engine Developer

phoenix64 wrote:
Which usually is some nickname which doesn't really tell anything.

The hg names will probably often not be full names as well. And I'm quite sure Volker will mention your full name when integrating a patch if you ask for that. :)
More substantial contributions will be listed on the website and in a readme file. If for any reason someone should have the feeling that his contribution is not attributed enough, contact Volker or me and we will definitely try to sort the concerns out. Anyway, I understand your point that having the real author information is useful.

PostPosted: 21.03.2010, 22:40 

Small update: List boxes!

http://imagebin.ca/view/obw89q.html

(Okay, still really simple -.-)