Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 10:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 18:39 

hello i just started creating a scene in horde3d editor and for that i needed to learn through the tutorial
that is available on this page http://mm-werkstatt.informatik.uni-augsburg.de/Horde3DEditor
but i have a problem following tutorial and the problem is due to configuration of the editor , can some one
give an idea how can i configure it while installation , because i don't get the right folders when i add the
forward.pipeline.xml etc

Regards Elsibeth

PostPosted: 16.05.2011, 18:47 
Tool Developer

Have you read the Wiki pages? And which Version are you're using? The one from the community branch?

PostPosted: 17.05.2011, 15:48 

Volker wrote:
Have you read the Wiki pages? And which Version are you're using? The one from the community branch?

Well Volker I went through your following documentation

http://mm-werkstatt.informatik.uni-augsburg.de/files/project_content/45/231_HordeEditor.pdf

and I have tried my level best to reach to it , although there were differences between tutorial
and available Horde3d Editor on your page, but I got stuck ....

Infact the main problem is with the installation , it doesn't set automatically the correct path of pipeline, I some how set the
scene path to pipeline but after following tutorial I don't have any knight available in there , I really don't understand why is this happening

There is a difference between, few things in tutorial and given application....

Kindly guide if there is something that could help me set its configuration

Regards Elisbeth

PostPosted: 17.05.2011, 16:16 

Volker wrote:

if i define my problem using an image u can see in attached

4 Figures

Figure 1 , Which is the first step in horde3d tutorial, for creating new scene clicking on file->New Scene

Figure 2 , When we have to select RenderPipeline,

Figure 3 , When we have to select forwardpipeline (Following the given tutorial on your web page)

Problem ::
The first difference b/w your application and tutorial application is that it doesnt tell that should i create all the folders

as you can see the tutorial says to create all the folders if not existing as shown in figure 4 in attached picture

Sorry for adding a picture i tried compressing it more but the idea was not getting conveyed

anyways Kindly help if you understand the problem

Regards Elisbeth

Attachments:
finaldoc.png
finaldoc.png [ 357.73 KiB | Viewed 27913 times ]
PostPosted: 18.05.2011, 06:52 
Tool Developer

I asked what version you are using, because there are differences between the current version from the community branch and the version 0.8.0 from the webpage. The reason why the directory settings are removed with revision 311 is because the resource directories within Horde are deprecated. The tutorial and wiki pages weren't updated to the latest trunk because there's currently nobody who maintain the editor officially. I still try to keep it compilable and runnable with the current Horde3D version in the community branch, but does not have the time to update all the documentation (That's why the tutorial is also partially in the wiki pages, were all forum members can update it) ;-)

PostPosted: 05.10.2012, 04:51 

HI there,

I wasn't sure which members are active, so I figured you were a safer bet to get a reply on this topic.

I dont know what features/stabilities, etc. are in the 'newer' editor ( I have 080 atm), but I t ried downloading community branch SDK, where supposedly the newer editor is, but when compiling, I still get version 080, that or something isnt compiling right here.

I was hoping you could offer some insight here, and let me know what version the new one is and what features and such it has .

thx
nl

Volker wrote:
I asked what version you are using, because there are differences between the current version from the community branch and the version 0.8.0 from the webpage. The reason why the directory settings are removed with revision 311 is because the resource directories within Horde are deprecated. The tutorial and wiki pages weren't updated to the latest trunk because there's currently nobody who maintain the editor officially. I still try to keep it compilable and runnable with the current Horde3D version in the community branch, but does not have the time to update all the documentation (That's why the tutorial is also partially in the wiki pages, were all forum members can update it) ;-)

PostPosted: 05.10.2012, 07:27 
Tool Developer

You can check the SVN log to see the changes made to the community branch. There you will see that the code was updated to the current Horde3D code from the SourceForge SVN trunk version.
The reason for the editor's version number is that it wasn't updated during those changes but that does not mean it's code wasn't adjusted to Horde3D's Beta5 code.

What exactly is your problem with getting the editor to run? Maybe you can remove all your spamming posts in the other forums and concentrate on describing your problems with the editor in this post, otherwise I think you may confuse others with all those spread questions although we may solve your problem here.

PostPosted: 05.10.2012, 15:42 

The editor runs fine, I just wanted to make sure I had the most recent version, and I wasn't sure that 'about' was showing me that accurately, given
I suspected as I now know, that the version just hadn't been updated in the logo.

I'll gladly delete the other posts now I just left them in because honetly, several posts are going unanswered and so I felt leaving them in gave me a better stastistical chance of getting help from someone.

When I create the last stage of a new project, its suppose to bring up several new folders where it places things like ../models, etc., but Im only getting 2 of them, so I felt something was possibly wrong, and that was based on your wonderful video tutorial showing them all there.

That's about it atm as I've not used it alot due , as I've been reading and trying to understand how to get started with horde3D.

<found it>A few other questions now that comes to mind, is Im a bit lost as to what the proper methods are to create a heightmap; Where do I get this special tool as noted in docs, to create heightmap/normalmap combo,as I 've never heard of such a tool before.</found it> ;)..ok verry sorry...I totally forgot this is IN editor, I just forgot that the page where this tool is mentioned, here: http://www.horde3d.org/wiki/index.php5? ... _Extension , indicates at bottom of that page, thats its IN editor, and a command line tool is also available .

Also, as noted this engine can support large terrains, so I was wondering if there is a maximum amount that I should avoid going past for now, as I do have some projects in mind that would use such a component.

Relieved to know I have the current editor ;), and thx for such a quick answer.

cheers
nl

Last edited by Volker on 05.10.2012, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Unnecessary quote removed

PostPosted: 05.10.2012, 20:32 
Tool Developer

I updated the documentation on the wiki page to explain, why there's no more a resource directory wizard page in the current community edition.

Regarding the terrain extension, the size of the heightmap is limited by the maximum texture size of your graphics card. For a flight simulator or something like that, you may have to search/implement a streaming solution

PostPosted: 06.10.2012, 18:01 

OK thank you for the info.

cheers
nl

Volker wrote:
I updated the documentation on the wiki page to explain, why there's no more a resource directory wizard page in the current community edition.

Regarding the terrain extension, the size of the heightmap is limited by the maximum texture size of your graphics card. For a flight simulator or something like that, you may have to search/implement a streaming solution