Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.03.2024, 12:05

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Ptex
PostPosted: 31.01.2012, 09:49 

Hello, I'm not really an advanced user (yet) but I wanted to suggest something that would be real cool to have in Horde3d, and I thought this would be the right place to suggest it (if not, please move it to a place where it fits).

Anyways, as 3d technology develops new things appear that slowly make their way into real time 3d. One of those things is Ptex texures. If you haven't heard of them, they are basically textures who don't need any UV-maps. Find the technical details here: http://ptex.us/ptexpaper.html

It isn't really new per se, but not many real time rendering engines have it. And I think we should!

UV-mapping is the most tedious part of any kind of 3d modeling in my opinion, so not having to deal with it (as much at least) is very attractive, and I bet it would attract more users to Horde3d. And really, it makes the engine more modern and awesome.

So, this should be possible to implement, right? I think I'm gonna attempt hacking at it a little bit, but I kind of doubt I'll be able to do it. I'm not really a coding wizard, hehe.

Anyways, what do you fellow Horde3d people think?

Post subject: Re: Ptex
PostPosted: 11.02.2012, 02:50 

"We propose a new texture mapping method for Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces"

PostPosted: 11.02.2012, 04:33 

So first we need an ACC renderer? :lol:

PostPosted: 28.02.2012, 20:50 

AcidFaucet wrote:
"We propose a new texture mapping method for Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces"

Odd though, because when I look at some info real quickly it seems like CCSS is more about the mesh than it is about the texture.
I guess I'm probably wrong though.

But fair enough, I think we should have some technology similar to this in Horde. I said Ptex because I've heard about Ptex making its way in to the real time market. I haven't heard anything about Catmull stuff in games. But it's probably as possible too.