Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.03.2024, 09:15

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Forking Horde3D
PostPosted: 12.04.2013, 18:50 

attila wrote:
It seems like community should help horde3d to move forward, but even that still would require work(discussing/accepting proposals, discussing possible implementation designs, reviewing the implementation,...) from you. The community roadmap on wiki is almost 5 years old, sadly in its current form it didn't really work.

I would suggest to fork Horde3D and create a public repository on github.com named Horde3D-Next or something similar consisting a small team of active people around here. There you can easily create multiple branches and experiment new ideas with free bug reports and fixes from random visitors. Whenever reached a stable and polished state, ask upstream to merge the changes.

PostPosted: 14.04.2013, 12:54 

Quote:
I would suggest to fork Horde3D and create a public repository on github.com named Horde3D-Next or something similar consisting a small team of active people around here. There you can easily create multiple branches

I think this is a good idea, forking is easy, and there people can discuss on patches, github is good place (have used it with other projects).
Dont know how up-to-date is that community-branch (in svn), but github is better.

So, someone, lets do it :)

Last edited by mikel on 18.04.2013, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14.04.2013, 22:06 

Siavash wrote:
I would suggest to fork Horde3D and create a public repository on github.com named Horde3D-Next or something similar consisting a small team of active people around here. There you can easily create multiple branches and experiment new ideas with free bug reports and fixes from random visitors. Whenever reached a stable and polished state, ask upstream to merge the changes.

Does the current license allow creating a github repo by an outsider?

It could be great to develop new features that could get into the official branch someday. Using it for bug reporting could help to separate the main horde3d and the experimental feature issues. But to develop a new and incompatible horde3d it would be a disaster, it could halve/decrease the already not-too-large userbase.

PostPosted: 15.04.2013, 04:24 

attila wrote:
Does the current license allow creating a github repo by an outsider?

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't allow. In case anybody is curious: Main Features of the Eclipse Public License
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk wrote:
The EPL grants these rights:
    - to copy, adapt and distribute the program in source or object code form
    - to distribute the code in object code form alone under a different licence, provided that licence is compatible with the EPL
    - patent rights from all contributors to use and make available the code
    - to distribute works which contain the code in combination with new code modules, and to license the new code modules in any way the distributor wishes

attila wrote:
It could be great to develop new features that could get into the official branch someday. Using it for bug reporting could help to separate the main horde3d and the experimental feature issues. But to develop a new and incompatible horde3d it would be a disaster, it could halve/decrease the already not-too-large userbase.

No offense, but I think current state of Horde3D is more damaging to its user base. As long as new features are useful and don't introduce bloat, they are welcome. A few breaks here and there is necessary to bring in new modern features.

And sorry for hijacking your thread attila :wink:

PostPosted: 17.04.2013, 03:55 

I'd be all for this, as long as you guys don't go wild with API changes.

Post subject: Re: Forking Horde3D
PostPosted: 17.04.2013, 06:23 
Tool Developer

Personally I still didn't become used to git. It's wording and concept is something strange to me.
Since the last discussion about distributed versioning systems, I'm now working with HG (Mercurial) which has at least similar wording as SVN and I'm starting to enjoy it's benefits.

For the main project I'm still would perfer keeping the SVN repository as a central point were a stable and official API is available. But I would appreciate it, if people who may fork the project on github or whereever, would provide patches that we then could add to the official branch, if it does not clutter up the API or make Horde3D less stable.

BTW. if someone wants to contribute and does not like SVN or does not have access to the community branch yet, one is always free to post patches here. Then we can discuss and I will integrate it, if the community would aggree that the changes make Horde3D even better.

PostPosted: 17.04.2013, 09:22 

Volker wrote:
Personally I still didn't become used to git. It's wording and concept is something strange to me.
Since the last discussion about distributed versioning systems, I'm now working with HG (Mercurial) which has at least similar wording as SVN and I'm starting to enjoy it's benefits.

For the main project I'm still would perfer keeping the SVN repository as a central point were a stable and official API is available. But I would appreciate it, if people who may fork the project on github or whereever, would provide patches that we then could add to the official branch, if it does not clutter up the API or make Horde3D less stable.

I haven't used git, but based on what I read about it I prefer mercurial. What do you think about hosting it on http://www.bitbucket.org? It is free for public repos AFAIK and it supports git and hg repos.

Volker wrote:
BTW. if someone wants to contribute and does not like SVN or does not have access to the community branch yet, one is always free to post patches here. Then we can discuss and I will integrate it, if the community would aggree that the changes make Horde3D even better.

I think discussion still should be here about the patches, but bug reporting and collaboration would be much easier on a github/bitbucket.

PostPosted: 17.04.2013, 10:54 

Volker wrote:

Yes, proposals and patches should be provided here to be merged.

attila wrote:
I haven't used git, but based on what I read about it I prefer mercurial. What do you think about hosting it on http://www.bitbucket.org? It is free for public repos AFAIK and it supports git and hg repos.

There is a limit of up to 5 collaborators per repository on bitbucket.org, to have more collaborators you should use their paid plans. But you don't have such limit on github.com, and also you can create wiki pages for experimental features there. Working with git is a a little hard at beginning but you will get addicted to it.

attila wrote:
I think discussion still should be here about the patches, but bug reporting and collaboration would be much easier on a github/bitbucket.

Yes, it is easier to track bugs and issues there.

PostPosted: 17.04.2013, 12:01 
Tool Developer

I only did a quick check on sourceforge, but my impression is that they support mercurial as well without any user limitation.

PostPosted: 17.04.2013, 12:32 

Hi.
Just wanna chime in and say I'm all for a Horde3D fork, I don't care whether it's git or hg, and that I'd prefer github over sourceforge.
Cheers.

PostPosted: 17.04.2013, 18:01 

In my opinion, a github is a better place because it's more social than alternatives you were talking about.
It's extra-popular and can make some marketing for the project.
How?
Many people are interested what they friends are working on. If you find piece of good code, you might be interested what are the other projects made by the same people. Or what they like (star).
It's easier to contribute as you can instantly commit to queue. You just commit and forget it. If core devs from some reason do not pull - you just look the queue yourself or looking for forks.

About bitbucket, I find it useful for isolated projects (or mercurial fans). I feel bad for source-forge ecause it made so much for the FLOSS community, however currently github is a real deal.

PostPosted: 17.04.2013, 19:21 
Tool Developer

Maybe someone else wants to administrate a github fork. I would propose atilla for this job. For me it is to much effort getting familiar with all this git stuff in my rare spare time.

From time to time marciano or myself may be able to pick some established features or improvements into the sourceforge svn branch.

PostPosted: 18.04.2013, 02:16 

Volker wrote:

I agree, I've never been a fan of Git, but github is really impressive.

My host of choice is code.google.com, but I'm not sure what their limits are as far as contributors.

PostPosted: 18.04.2013, 03:46 

tshannon wrote:
My host of choice is code.google.com, but I'm not sure what their limits are as far as contributors.
Nothing serious, but their service is blocked to a few countries.

I wasn't around for a long time, but my vote goes to attila like Volker. Roland and DarkAngel look like good victims too. :D

I would recommend to have two administrators for final code review and merge, and at least two people reviewing pull requests, bugs and issues.

PostPosted: 18.04.2013, 09:11 

Volker wrote:
Maybe someone else wants to administrate a github fork. I would propose atilla for this job. For me it is to much effort getting familiar with all this git stuff in my rare spare time.

As I have zero experience with git/github I don't think I am the right person for this. It would take too much time from me to learn this - and probably would do mistakes with the project management while learning. I'd rather concentrate on a gles2/d3d11 port I'm currently working on. But after initial setup I would volunteer to manage some of the branches(if that is possible with github).

Volker wrote:
From time to time marciano or myself may be able to pick some established features or improvements into the sourceforge svn branch.

Thanks, I think the main goal should be to create well tested features that could be added to the main branch. For me top priority seems to be OpenGL ES2 support with samples on several platforms (iOS, android, BB10, NaCL, emscripten(asm.js),... )
Is sourceforge a typo or there will be a sourceforge repo too? AFAIK currently svn is on a university server.