Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.03.2024, 05:18

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Forking Horde3D
PostPosted: 18.04.2013, 14:52 

My git experience is negligible as well, but its about time to change that :)

I'd be mostly interested in tackling features like:

Though currently I'm working on some GameEngine stuff which might take a while. And since my time at the university is ending I can't make any predictions on how much time I can put into all this :|

But I'd love to give some of the above a try. Or work on other suggestions.

PostPosted: 18.04.2013, 19:52 
Tool Developer

attila wrote:
Thanks, I think the main goal should be to create well tested features that could be added to the main branch. For me top priority seems to be OpenGL ES2 support with samples on several platforms (iOS, android, BB10, NaCL, emscripten(asm.js),... )

If someone provides a clean patch for that (OpenGL ES with support of same features on each platform and samples), I will integrate it immediately.

I may become access to a i.MX6 with OpenGL ES 3.0 support (at least the chip should support it, if the driver support is available isn't clear yet) in the middle or end of this year. Maybe I will then try to port Horde to ES 3.0 which may be easier due to the depth and floating point texture issues as well as the shadow sampler problems on current android systems. But I won't promise anything yet.

attila wrote:
Is sourceforge a typo or there will be a sourceforge repo too? AFAIK currently svn is on a university server.

It's no typo, the official Horde3D project is hosted on sourceforge. The community branch where more developers have write access to, is located on a server at the university of augsburg. Developers who want to have write access to the community branch can send me an email or PM and if they have shown in the forums that their work is contributing to Horde3D (e.g. like your work atilla), I will add them to the users with write access.

PostPosted: 19.04.2013, 08:35 

I've created a github repo, the data is from sourceforge.

https://github.com/attilaz/horde3d-x

The name is horde3d-x. X is for experimental, more cross-platform, and neXt for new features.
Name is inspired by cocos2d-x http://www.cocos2d-x.org/, which is a great crossplatform game framework that is widely used by developers. Another interesting project would be to create a small glue code (CCNode that defines a h3d viewport) and a sample that shows how to use the 2 projects together. It could bring some people to h3d.

As I understand we should now create branches for features.
Do I have to give rights for collaborators to do this?

PostPosted: 19.04.2013, 09:59 
Tool Developer

Thanks for managing it. Regarding your question about managing rights, I can't help you. As already mentioned I'm not familiar with git/github as well.

PostPosted: 19.04.2013, 15:44 

attila wrote:
As I understand we should now create branches for features.
Do I have to give rights for collaborators to do this?

I think it is better that only you and other possible project administrators (they should be added as a collaborator by you, at repository settings) have rights to create branches and accept pull requests from contributers. Contributers should fork your repository, make changes and commit them to their forked repository, then issuing a pull request to be reviewed and merged by you.

PostPosted: 19.04.2013, 21:29 

Thanks for the clarification Siavash.

If someone would like to help with administration please tell me and I will add him as a collaborator.
I'm thinking about managing each project in a separate branch. Project owners should be given administrator rights as I wouldn't like to be a bottleneck for managing pull request for each branch/project. AFAIK there is no rights settings per branch, so this requires some discipline from the administrators.

Roland your projects seems interesting If you would like to be an admin please tell me your github name and I will add you as a collaborator.

If I understand correctly any github user can work on features(that is acessible by anyone) creating a branch in his own forked repo.
So initial experimentation could be done in forks.

PostPosted: 20.04.2013, 03:20 

@Volker:
Is it possible to make an announcement on main page or add a new section in downloads page pointing to the attila's repository, so it can be official and more accessible?

PostPosted: 20.04.2013, 09:32 

Awesome. Good to see that there is still active users, forum have been quite quiet and hopefully others find this engine (from git) and give it a try. attila, you should put horde3d.org link in README.md
If there will be api changes, I can then keep C# wrapper up-to-date because Im coding with it.

Offtopic but on that android project, do you use SDL HG (2.0), it will be released officially soon (I read it somewhere)? There is java class which sends all android touch etc commands to sdl so user can use these in his/her c/c++ application.

PostPosted: 21.04.2013, 21:18 

mikel wrote:
Awesome. Good to see that there is still active users, forum have been quite quiet and hopefully others find this engine (from git) and give it a try. attila, you should put horde3d.org link in README.md

I have modified README.md, thanks for pointing out the missing infos.

mikel wrote:
If there will be api changes, I can then keep C# wrapper up-to-date because Im coding with it.

thanks for this. I will work on gles2 and d3d11 ports first. The only changes I'm thinking about some kind of caps query to
get hardware support info. Currently the user only gets a warning in the log about missing floating point texture suppport,
non-power-of-two support, and multisampling. Also compressed texture support(s3tc,etc,pvrtc) should be optional at initializion and could be queried after initialization to load one of the available texture format at runtime.

mikel wrote:
Offtopic but on that android project, do you use SDL HG (2.0), it will be released officially soon (I read it somewhere)? There is java class which sends all android touch etc commands to sdl so user can use these in his/her c/c++ application.

I still haven't decided how to implement the samples on different platforms. At first I will work on windows implementation. SDL HG would be one option. A simple framework library native implemented on each platform would be another option, on android this could be done using NativeActivity, on iOS with GLKit. Help would be appreciated here.

PostPosted: 22.04.2013, 15:28 

Such a great news!

These are my 2 cents to the idea:

http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

This article talks about a very successfull branching model, which I can assure works really well with Git.

PostPosted: 24.04.2013, 06:42 

Zuck wrote:
Such a great news!
These are my 2 cents to the idea:
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
This article talks about a very successfull branching model, which I can assure works really well with Git.

Thanks, great tutorial.
Our scenario is slightly different as I (and hopefully other people) would't like to create a new horde3d. That would need new documentation, wiki and everything. So now the release branches,hotfixes,master part is managed by Volker on Sourceforge.

Github would only manage the community develop/feature branches part. Github's master(develop in the article) is a clone of sourceforge's h3d and it should be in sync with it. And there could be several feature branches that are either merged into master/svn or discarded if failed.
After a new horde3d public release on sourceforge we can separeate the develop/master branches.

A little offtopic but the main page of horde3d is a little discouraging for newbies. It is updated rarely, I know it is a lot of work, but this is important. I don't want to hurt anyone but this the main thing that ogre3d(sorry but I dont like that bloated code, and they are proud that their engine is LARGE) did/does better and they now have a much larger and active community.
I'm not forcing to add the github to the news as still nothing interesting happening there.

PostPosted: 24.04.2013, 10:31 
Tool Developer

I know the mainpage should be updated, but even more the wiki should be much more extended with samples, tricks and tips.
Currently I don't have access to the FTP anymore, so the mainpage could be only updated by marciano until I may be able to contact him personally. But the wiki may be extended by all forum users. So providing more documentation and user-friendly entry points is possible to be done by everyone.

PostPosted: 30.04.2013, 04:19 

Volker wrote:
I know the mainpage should be updated, but even more the wiki should be much more extended with samples, tricks and tips.

I have a few things I'd like to add / clarify in the wiki, but all my code is in Go, so I'm not sure it's necessarily applicable to a lot of Horde's users.

PostPosted: 30.04.2013, 05:48 
Tool Developer

Not sure what you want to add, but I guess the Go bindings are more or less just a wrapper for the C interface, so even if there are examles in Go, it shouldn't be to difficult to map those to another languange.

PostPosted: 03.05.2013, 03:48 

I was just thinking of a few examples that can be found scattered throughout the forums, but usually the wiki is the first place I look.