Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 19.03.2024, 08:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 09.07.2019, 02:05 

I just thought going with Angle would be the way to go since it will have future support for Vulkan and still support ES 3 an ES2.

I actually got interested in Horde3D again because it is lightweight and with attila's Horde3DX crossplatform project, utilizing Angle for handling the ES2 backend, the Cocos2d part is another nice addition.

Just my 2c. Anyways, Great job so far with 1.0! :D

PostPosted: 09.07.2019, 19:52 

Do you mean using Angle for emscripten? Or some other purposes? AFAIK Angle is just a translation layer from opengl es to directx. With the current support of WebGL2 in browsers it seems that Angle is mostly used on old intel graphics cards that do not support OpenGL well (I am not very sure, so I can be mistaken).

PostPosted: 10.07.2019, 11:23 

Irdis wrote:
Do you mean using Angle for emscripten? Or some other purposes? AFAIK Angle is just a translation layer from opengl es to directx. With the current support of WebGL2 in browsers it seems that Angle is mostly used on old intel graphics cards that do not support OpenGL well (I am not very sure, so I can be mistaken).

Actually, it's cross platform and there is on-going work on Vulkan.

https://opensource.google.com/projects/angle

ANGLE allows OpenGL ES applications to be run seamlessly on multiple platforms by translating to available hardware-supported APIs

The goal of ANGLE is to allow users of multiple operating systems to seamlessly run WebGL and other OpenGL ES content by translating OpenGL ES API calls to one of the hardware-supported APIs available for that platform. ANGLE currently provides translation from OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.0 to desktop OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Direct3D 9, and Direct3D 11. Support for translation from OpenGL ES to Vulkan is underway, and future plans include compute shader support (ES 3.1).

Microsoft also has forked angle for Windows 10/UWP/Windows Store apps

https://github.com/microsoft/angle

ANGLE allows Windows users to seamlessly run OpenGL ES content by efficiently translating OpenGL ES API into DirectX 11 API calls.

In short:

"Angle provides OpenGL on anything, on pretty much every device" 3:27

ANGLE: OpenGL on Vulkan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIKdjmpmaA

PostPosted: 10.07.2019, 13:18 

Ok, but what are the use cases? Firefox and chrome already use Angle for webgl, so how, in your opinion, should Angle be used with Horde? OpenGL ES is not very popular on desktop environments, and is usually slower than desktop counterparts.

PostPosted: 10.07.2019, 15:55 

I'm not sure about performance, but I have seen a lot of impressive and intensive WebGL Chrome demos/projects which still uses DX11/OpenGL through Angle.

threejs
babylonjs
webglstudio
nanogl

To name a few

Again, yes this is just an opinion and perhaps this is something to think about and consider among other options you have and in planning.

cheers.

PostPosted: 10.07.2019, 16:28 

Irdis wrote:
OpenGL ES is not very popular on desktop environments, and is usually slower than desktop counterparts.

It's a bit confusing but you have to remember it just translates OpenGL ES calls to DX or GL on desktops.

ANGLE: Running OpenGL ES 2.0 Graphics Code on Windows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6EvrieB9IA