It is currently 27.04.2024, 07:59

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Horde3D extensions
PostPosted: 09.07.2008, 09:15 

Maybe make it optional?

PostPosted: 02.02.2009, 02:46 

Volker wrote:
I think you are right. I'm currently working on a component based game engine that makes intensive use of plugins, even with MSVC I couldn't find any big problems so far. I'm using a slightly adjusted version of the Ogre DynLib class to load the plugins.

So for future versions I don't see any reason why not to change the plugin system to dynamic libraries. But I think we will first finish the 1.0.0 stable. So far there are still some small things we want to fix. But I think we can finish the 1.0.0 release within the next two weeks.

The next steps I'm planning are a configurable maximum number of log messages (already integrated in my own version) and the dynamic loading of plugins. Next to that, it would be nice if we can enhance the occlusion culling to the mesh layer. Currently only whole models are considered, which is not very efficient when using e.g. a city model that consists only of several meshes instead of one model for each house.
Apart from that, the collada converter thing is still something to be improved.
I know this was put on hold, but with with 1.0.0 beta 3 on the way, 1.0.0 stable seems to be a bit of a sliding target :D

As far as I can tell, we can add dynamic loading/runtime registration of plugins without breaking any of the existing API (adding a single registration plugin), and it shouldn't break existing static plugins either. I also now have access to a Windows machine with VC++ Express, so I can see what (if any) issues we have to work around.

Are there any thoughts or objections re my working on adding this?

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 15:18 

you could just offer a function that returns a struct with function pointers to the used STL classes.
The plugin would need to use these then, instead of linking it with libstdc++.

--Marenz

PostPosted: 27.01.2010, 17:34 

Quote:
you could just offer a function that returns a struct with function pointers to the used STL classes.
The plugin would need to use these then, instead of linking it with libstdc++.

Sounds extremely difficult both on the engine and on the plugin side - you want to wrap the whole STL? Impossible because of its template based nature. If you just instanciate everything, it at least is MUCH WORK, and awkward to use.