Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 10:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 18.04.2008, 20:35 

To make the engine as approachable as possible i am doing a Visual Studio Wizard to create Horde3D applications. I must admit that i am lazy when it comes to plumbing code, setting up windowing, and all that crap, so this is for my benefit as well.

For the time being i am thinking on adding support to CEGUI, Bullet and the Terrain Extension. Is there any other library that you guys use that should also be supported out of the box?

PostPosted: 19.04.2008, 23:14 

It depends on the nature of the project. If you going for a semi complete template app then you may want to consider something for some basic audio like PortAudio or Audiere.

DDd, you've been taking on a lot of responsibilities (at least it looks that way, I don't read every forum post so ICBW), make sure you don't flood yourself and burn out.

EDIT: That's a friendly comment, no hostility

PostPosted: 20.04.2008, 00:41 

I am thinking on doing something that just sets up the windowing system, Horde3D and some auxiliary libraries like bullet, maybe i will add more in the future, so that developers have a pre-built game framework with all the main components loaded and can focus on what is really important. great shaders and game logic.

As for the responsibility, i am taking none :mrgreen: I just helped setup the wiki, because i have previous experience, but now that it is setup i hope to see all of you contribute to it. I have allot to learn from all of you, and will enjoy greatly to read your tutorials and techniques.

The HordeMobile project is a long project for me, i expect to do a first release in July. As for the wizard i decided to do one because i use the one provided by the Ogre community a lot, and i hate to do pluming code, i prefer to spend a week doing templates or macros, than having to repeat the same task hundreds of times.

I am not going to do anything very fancy with the wizard, just trying to save some time with project setup. I hope that people will pick up where i left and fill in some holes, or add enhancements. I think there is nothing more rewarding in software development than seeing your code being picked up and used or improved by another developer.

I am doing all this because it's fun for me, I am enthused with the project, and with the community, and i think this project is just starting to grow. I hope that enthusiasm is not off putting, i promise not to launch myself into any other task until these two are finished. But because the community is just starting there is allot of cool stuff to do :) I am sure that with the dozens of students that are going to pick up Horde3D there are going to be allot of exciting application to this gfx engine.

PostPosted: 20.04.2008, 08:22 
Tool Developer

It's a nice idea, if you think you can realize it, I'm sure many people will use it.

PostPosted: 20.04.2008, 22:41 

My mistake.

Go for it, it'd be really helpful for a lot of people.

PostPosted: 28.04.2008, 13:01 

Update: Did some progress during the weekend, but i am still not ready to distribute the Wizard, needs further testing and more libraries, as well as more template code. Atm i am experimenting distributing CeGUI integrated templates and Bullet/Physics Abstraction Layer.