Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 18.04.2024, 23:42

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 22.04.2008, 23:20 

Problem: I'm trying to get some animations inside Horde3D, but every frame has a different frame duration.

My current idea is to write this data into another file and pass a somehow modified time parameter to setModelAnimParams. But I really think this is the job of the 3D engine so that I can pass a time value which increases linearly.

It would be really good if we could extend the animation file format with a duration parameter for every frame.

Comments?

PostPosted: 23.04.2008, 02:01 

Makes sense to me, a lot on animations needn't have fixed frame duration, especially with skeletal animation. On the other hand, most 3D packages can export additional keyframes at fixed duration.

PostPosted: 23.04.2008, 21:39 

It's for my converter... But there I could just output a few times the same key frame. But I think data duplication in this way is bad, especially if I have some very short and some long animations.

PostPosted: 24.04.2008, 06:17 
Tool Developer

I also think that it may be enough if the converter can add the additional frames so that a constant frame rate can be used. This way we don't have to change the animation format, which would probably break the support for existing animations.
Instead of just adding the frame several times you can also interpolate between the frames. You can see how this can be done in the engine. If you set FastAnimation to off the engine interpolates the joint transformations when a non integer frame number has been specified.