Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 18.04.2024, 23:15

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: utOpenGL.h
PostPosted: 15.02.2009, 07:51 

I'm curious how the function bindings were determined in utOpenGL.

I'm getting ready to transfer in geometry shaders from my sandboxes and require adding ProgramParameteriEXT(). I'll also end up needing to add others to deal with transform feedback, texture arrays, and draw instanced. Adding the variables is obvious since the extension documentation gives the hex addresses.

Also, is there a better way to handle the checking than adding a "SM4_Capable" var to the Modules::config() and setting it based on extension queries then looking it up for SM4/newer regions?

Post subject: Re: utOpenGL.h
PostPosted: 15.02.2009, 09:08 
Tool Developer

Good question. That's something we have to discuss regarding a port to OpenGL ES and DX anyway.

PostPosted: 15.02.2009, 13:17 
Engine Developer

There are official spec files that list all function declarations and tokens. You can assemble your C-header from those and the public documentation.
http://www.opengl.org/registry/#specfiles

AcidFaucet wrote:
Also, is there a better way to handle the checking than adding a "SM4_Capable" var to the Modules::config() and setting it based on extension queries then looking it up for SM4/newer regions?

Unfortunately OpenGL does not have a good mechanism for querying hardware capabilities so a lot of tricking will be necessary. It would be nice to have a more abstracted internal hardware capability class that can be accessed from the renderer. This is something that we plan to address some time after Beta3.

PostPosted: 16.02.2009, 02:47 

Thanks! Kind of figured that was how it was being done, but wanted to be certain, it's a pain digging through the extension documents.

On the capabilities issue, a caps class had crossed my mind. On a side note, does anyone have a recent ATI card that could do an supported recent extensions check for me?

PostPosted: 16.02.2009, 04:16 

AcidFaucet wrote:
Thanks! Kind of figured that was how it was being done, but wanted to be certain, it's a pain digging through the extension documents.
I suggested replacing utOpenGL with GLee a while ago, but if there is some reason not to, you could still use the XML files GLee is generated from, and write a custom generator.

Quote:
On the capabilities issue, a caps class had crossed my mind. On a side note, does anyone have a recent ATI card that could do an supported recent extensions check for me?
I have a Radeon 4870 HD, running catalyst 9.1 (I believe it is the latest).

PostPosted: 16.02.2009, 04:34 

That would certainly simplify things quite a bit. I'll have to take a look at it.